Tyler

It happens. I see him. My lover, my abuser, my once best friend. The one who promised he’d never hurt me, ever. That promise was broken real fast. I see the one who I’ve been trying my best to avoid after the accident. I see the boy who just got released, but wasn’t supposed to. And now, more than ever, he’s coming back for me.

Tyler.

As soon as I see him, my heart drops down into the very bottom of my stomach. All these questions raging inside of my head at one moment. Why is he here? When did he get out? Why does he want to come back for me? He was supposed to be in there for life! I can’t run away, because then he’ll see me and catch me. Then I’ll be doomed for the rest of my life. So, in a contradictory action, I instantly duck behind Zayn. I’ve got to make sure that he doesn’t see me.

“Taj, what are you doing?” Zayn asks.

“Ssh, stupid! Don’t say my name so loud!” I whisper.

“Wow, what’s with you? Did I do something wrong?”

“No, it isn’t you. Do you see that boy with the shaggy black hair and the black t-shirt?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“Well, he’s sort of my ex-boyfriend.”

“Oh, I see. Well there’s no need to hide from him, I’m pretty sure your relationship wasn’t that bad.”

“No, Zayn I—”

“Come on now, stop hiding.” He pulls me from behind him, exposing my face to the entire store. Now I’m really in trouble.

And, what I never wanted to happen, does. “Taj? That you?” Tyler says, squinting towards my face.

“Shit,” I mutter under my breath. On a whim, as always, Tyler comes prancing over to where me and Zayn are standing. “It really is you,” he says, staring down at me. Did I mention I’m the shortest person in the world? I’m 155 cm (5’1’’). Tyler? He’s one inch shorter than Zayn is. So yeah, tall. “I’ve…missed you.”

“I’m sure you have,” I mutter under my breath.

“So you must be Taj’s ex,” Zayn says, extending his hand out for a handshake. “I’m Zayn.”

“Tyler,” he says, taking Zayn’s hand courteously. “Very nice to meet you.” Little does Zayn know, Tyler’s evil.

“This your boyfriend, Taj?” Tyler asks.

“What? No. He isn’t.”

“Oh,” he says. “Well then, can I talk to you for a second, Taj?” I’d wish he’d stop saying my name so much. I’d wish he’d go away.

“Sure,” I say unwillingly. I’ll be nice to him for now.

“Okay.” He takes my hand and leads me to the back room where the dressing rooms are located. Since it’s early in the morning, no one’s in here yet. “Now look,” he says. “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you.”

“Long time? It was a year and a half.”

“Yeah, but still, I missed you. Being in solitary confinement really gave me time to think.”

“Think? About what? How you almost killed me? How you treated me so bad you had me in the ICU for four months?”

“Yeah….that. And I want to apologise, I really do.”

“It’s too late for apologies.” I say, and try to walk out.

He grabs my arm before I even try to make any effort. “I know that, Taj. And I know that you aren’t the most forgiving person in the world. But still, I want you to accept my apology and take me back.” He puts his arms around my waist, and his grip is so tight and strong that I can’t wiggle out of it or even try to.