The New Girl

I grasped the elevator railing tightly as it slowly descents. It was my first day at San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital, and I was as nervous as heck. I look at my watch and it read 7:30. I still had a lot of time to get there. When the elevator doors opened I slowly walked to my car and started it. As I put my phone in my cup holder, I checked it by habit. It read 8:31. I felt sick to my stomach. I realized it was Daylights Savings. Why didn't I set my alarm?! I quickly floored the pedal and get to work in record time, 3 minutes. 

I run into work out of breath and  see Doctor Melendez, I cringe on the inside. "McGriffin, you're late," he said, looking disappointed. "I'm sorry sir, I forgot it was Daylights Savings." I heard him mutter "excuses" underneath his breath. I look away.

He points to a room behind my back and I quickly turn around. I rammed straight into another doctor, her papers spilled on the floor. "Oh my goodness! I am so sorry!" I squeal as I quickly duck to pick them up. "It's fine," she said, not a hint of sarcasm in her voice. "I'm Paige, Paige McGriffin." "Claire, Claire Browne, thanks for helping me pick this up," she said as she hurried away. "McGriffin!" Melendez yelled. 

After an exhausting shift, it was finally lunch. I bought a salad and faced the crowded cafeteria. I got lucky and saw an empty table. After a couple moments of silence, I see one of Melendez's doctors walk up to me. 

"Could I sit here?" he asked, pointing to the empty seat across from me. I nod. He takes out an apple and shines it on his shirt. Without looking up, he said," I'm Doctor Shaun Murphy." "I'm Paige McGriffin." I ate my salad silently for about a minute when he started talking. 

"I was late on my first day, too. Doctor Melendez was really disappointed in me," he says while looking down at his fingers. "Does everyone know?" I ask, worried about my ego. "Not everyone in the world can know, but almost everyone here knows." I sigh and place my head in my hands, I silently scream.

 When I look up, I see Shaun looking at me. I notice his piercing blue eyes, fairly short shaggy brown hair, and long, nimble fingers. I found him pleasant looking. Then it seemed like he could read my mind. 

"I have a girlfriend. Her name is Lea, we went on a road trip together and I kissed her. She used to be my neighbor, but she moved to Hershey. I promised I would visit her. She gave me a baseball." He talked slowly, as if he was thinking about what he was going to say before he would say it, unlike almost everyone I knew. 

He stood up and stretched. "Would you like to be friends?" he asked. "I would love that Shaun," I said as I smiled. "Bye, Paige," he said as he waved. "Bye, Shaun," I said as I waved back. He leaves the cafeteria and meets Doctor Glassman by the exit. I finish my salad and go back to work. 

The End!

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to comment requests on the first page!