Protect || Chapter Fifteen

Later that night, after Katarina and Allison had been released from the school, Kat's door was suddenly thrown open and Stiles appeared in the doorway.  Kat looked up from her laptop, an eyebrow raised.  She couldn't stop the smile from appearing on her face as she said, "I'm grounded from you."

          "But I'm not grounded from you." Stiles cheekily said.  He grinned as he closed the door and sat on her bed. "How'd it go after we left?"

          Kat shrugged, setting her laptop aside. "Fine.  Allison's mom helped us explain everything.  She blamed it on Jackson and Scott having a disagreement.  They took Matt to the ER."

          Stiles nodded. "How are you, though?"

          "I'm fine," Kat said, making it sound like a question.  She furrowed her brows, "Why?"

          "I meant what Erica said before we all got detention." Stiles clarified. "Wanted to make sure you weren't upset."

          "Still fine, Stiles." Kat chuckled slightly. "Should I be upset about something?"

          Stiles started spastically shrugging, "Well, no, not necessarily."

          "What do you mean not necessarily?  Is there something I should know?  What happened after you guys left?" Kat started listing off questions, suddenly very self-conscious about the whole situation.

          "N-nothing!  Nothing happened." Stiles reassured her, reaching out and grabbing her hands in his own. "I just wanted to know how you felt about Erica saying that thing earlier."

          "Stiles, I don't care about what were-bitch said.  She's no threat to me." Kat laughed, recalling Erica's confession about her crush on Stiles and shrugging as she spoke.  Stiles remained quiet, suddenly taking Kat's confidence away.  Her smile fell, the joking demeanor completely disappearing. "Should she be a threat to me?"

          Stiles coughed and started rambling, "No.  Of course not.  No threat.  None at all.  I mean, look at you, and then look at her . . . "

          "You want me to care about that," Kat quietly realized.  She grinned, taking her hands from his and placing them on his jaw, forcing him to meet her eyes. "You wanna know why I don't care?  Because you're here with me, right now, instead of there with her."

          Stiles smiled. "You know, since we're on a slightly more serious subject, I want to ask you something." Kat nodded and dropped her hands from his face, silently telling him to go on. "I realized that I never officially asked you to be my girlfriend."

          Kat's face split into a smile so large Stiles thought her face would crack.  She giggled, slightly closing in on herself and flooding with warmth, "I thought I already was."

          "Yeah, but, I want at least that to be done right.  All of this -- " Stiles motioned between himself and Kat, " -- has been so weird.  None of it has felt . . . conventional."

          "Stiles, you're the least conventional person I know.  I wouldn't expect anything else in this relationship." Kat said, smiling the whole time. "But, if you want this to be conventional, then, fine, sure.  Stiles Stilinski, you spastic weirdo, yes, I will be your girlfriend."

          Stiles stood up and pumped his fists in the air, shouting, "Yes!  Scott, Reynolds, she said yes!"

          Kat laughed, watching as her door opened and her brother and best friend entered the room.  She stood up as well, crossing her arms with a grin. "On one condition." Stiles whipped around to face her, his arms slowly dropping from their suspended place in the air and his face becoming slightly worried.  Kat pointed to Scott and Annie, "You two gotta leave so I can have a Star Wars movie date with my boyfriend."