Protect || Chapter Seventeen

The car ride from the McCall home to the secret rave was awkwardly silent.  They pulled up, and as Annie went to follow Scott out the passenger door, Katarina grabbed her elbow and pulled her back.

          She cut right to the chase, "Why didn't you tell me?"

          Annie looked back at Kat, surprisingly unaffected by the way her words held no emotion. "I was told not to.  My dad didn't want our chances of getting you in our pack to be jeopardized."

          "So, you let me cry to you about how I never knew my mother and you knew the whole time?" Kat asked, searching Annie's green eyes for any emotion.  It was almost as if she had turned it off since that morning.  Before she could make another comment, Annie suddenly looked out of the window and cursed under her breath.

          "God, why now?" She hissed, scrambling out of the Jeep and following Scott down the alley.

          Kat looked at Stiles through the back door, watching as he shouted after her brother. "Scott!  What am I supposed to--?  Plan officially sucks!" He turned and walked back to the Jeep, throwing the trash bag full of mountain ash on the ground.  Kat climbed out of the Jeep and made her way over to Stiles.

          Kat moved the hair out of her face from a small gust of wind, bringing along the scent of Allison's perfume.  Her head whipped to where Scott and Annie were disappearing into the building, understanding why they ran off.  Stiles walked around Kat to pick up the bag of mountain ash before standing in front of her, his brows furrowed in confusion.

          "What's wrong?"

          Kat shook her head and looked up at him, "I just caught Allison's perfume.  I forgot she was coming here with Matt.  Do you think she told her dad about tonight?"

          The sounds of repeated gunshots answered her question.  Stiles sighed, chuckling slightly, "Sounds like it."

          Kat nodded, a faint smile toying on her lips despite the situation. "C'mon, start spreading that mountain ash."

          Kat and Stiles circled the building, creating a line of the sparkly black powder around it.  As they came around the last corner, just as they passed Roscoe, the trash bag became completely empty, only a few particles falling out of it.  There was still at least fifty feet that needed to be covered to complete the seal and trap every supernatural inside the building in, and those outside out.

          Stiles started whipping around between the two ends of the mountain ash trail, muttering about not knowing what to do.  He looked at Kat with wide eyes, "What now?"

          "Scott," Kat immediately said, "Call Scott."

          Stiles yanked his phone from his jacket pocket and was calling Scott in seconds.  He put the phone to his ear, Kat stepping closer so she could hear in case Scott picked up.  Stiles's voice was slightly panicked when it went to voicemail, "Scott, pick up.  Pick up now.  Look, I got, like, fifty feet of ash left, and I'm out.  Okay?  So you and Reynolds gotta get your wolf asses down here to help me because I don't know what to do.  And Kat and I are just standing out here and I'm -- " Gunshots sounded down the alley, followed by the growling of wolves, "And we're all alone and we're hearing gunshots and werewolves . . . "

          Stiles kept rambling, but Kat was trying to figure out what to do.  She was remembering what Deaton told Stiles earlier that night.  She glanced at a car parked just a ways from them, reading the bumper sticker above the exhaust pipes.

          "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Kat's brows furrowed, but then she suddenly jumped with realization.

          "Stiles!  Deaton said you've got to believe." Kat spastically said, bouncing on her feet, "Just picture it, believe there's enough.  Imagine it working.  Trust me, just imagine it and finish the line with the rest of the ash you have."