Protect || Chapter Nine

Annie had come home later that night, loudly stumbling into Katarina's room and nearly bursting with excitement.  Kat looked up from her phone, startled by Annie's sudden entrance.  The blond shut the door, bouncing on the balls of her feet as she moved to sit on the edge of the bed, slightly disturbing Kota.

          "Please tell me Scott wasn't lying," Annie started, smiling so wide Kat feared her face would crack apart.

          Kat giggled, her face heating up at the memory.  She shook her head, "No, he wasn't lying."

          "Yes!" Annie shouted, standing up and doing a little happy-dance around Kat's room. "Yes, yes, yes.  Finally!"

          Kat laughed at her best friend, "God, you're more excited about this than I am."

          "Well, yeah!  I've been rooting for this to happen since I got here," Annie laughed, sitting beside Kat on the bed and looking at her expectantly. "So, what happened exactly?"

--

         The next morning, nothing seemed to be too out of the ordinary for Katarina.  In fact, things seemed to be somewhat normal, almost as if werewolves and all of their problems involving supernaturals didn't exist.  Even Stiles had refrained from bringing up anything about his kanima research.

          Up until second period, everything was going fine.  That was until Scott, Annie, and Kat walked in and found Isaac sitting in Kat's usual spot.  The three cautiously took the seats around him, Annie directly behind and next to Scott, while Kat sat cautiously behind Annie.  They barely had time to take their notebooks out of their bags when Stiles flew into the room, sliding into the desk next to Kat and behind Scott.

          "Guys, I just talked to my dad, who just talked to Jackson, and I've got really terrible, horrible, very, very bad news," Stiles said, disregarding any type of greeting as he looked around at his friends.

          "I think we already know," Scott said, holding his arm out towards Isaac.  Even without turning around Kat could tell he held a smirk on his face so cocky it could rival Jackson's.  Kat sighed, folding her arms on her desk and letting her head fall onto them.  It was going to be a long day.

          Fifty-five minutes later, the four teens shuffled out of their second period, back to discussing the supernatural and their newest discovery, the kanima.

          Stiles sighed, recalling what he had found the night before after he had returned home from the McCall house, "All right, I only found one thing online called the kanima.  It's a werejaguar from South America that goes after murderers."

          "That thing was not a jaguar," Kat scoffed.

          "Yeah, and we're not exactly murderers," Stiles pointed out, reaching out and grabbing Kat's hand in his own, slipping his fingers through hers as if he had done it hundreds of times before.  Kat blushed.

          "Yeah, but you guys did see it kill somebody," Annie started.

          "Which is probably why it tried to kill you," Scott finished her thought.  He went on, elaborating his worried thoughts, "And is still trying to kill you, and it probably won't stop until you're both dead."

          Stiles and Kat stopped in the hallway, staring after Scott with slacked jaws.  Stiles came up with a sarcastic comment before Kat did, pulling her along as they continued towards Economics, "You know, sometimes I really begin to question this "friendship"."

          The four teens took their usual seats near the window, pulling out their textbooks and notes, flipping to the page Coach Finstock had written on the board when Jackson slid into the seat behind Scott.  He addressed Scott and Stiles, "Hey, testicle left and right, what the hell is a kanima?"