Protect || Chapter Four

Later that night, when Melissa had forced the Reynolds girl, Stilinski boy, and her children to go home after getting Lydia to the hospital again, the McCall siblings and Annie, now joined by Sam Reynolds, were huddled up in the living room of the McCall home.

          As it turned out, Sam had spent the day finding an apartment for himself and Annie.  He explained that he knew it was better to be in Beacon Hills as betas with a pack rather than fending for themselves as omegas.  Much to everyone's dismay, he had indicated that he would be joining Derek's pack.

          Annie, however, was adamant on staying with her friends, "Sam, Derek's changed.  He's not in the right mindset to be our alpha right now.  I'm staying with the McCalls."

          Kat stepped up to her best friend's defense, "He's going power hungry, Sam.  Trust us, you'd be better off as an omega than in his pack."

          Sam shook his head, unable to listen to them talk about one of his only childhood friends like that, "Der wouldn't do that.  He's not that kind of person."

          "He has, though," Scott suddenly spoke up, trying to convince the man that meant so much to his sister and Annie that they were correct, "Annie and I watched him kill his uncle in cold blood because he wanted the powers of an alpha.  He wants his own pack, but you'd be making a bad decision to join it."

          Sam was still against hearing the facts and was quickly shrugging on his coat to leave. "Annie, I'm coming to get you tomorrow.  We're joining Derek, and that's final."

--

          Annie had left the McCall home for a tutoring session with a classmate, mumbling something about needing extra credit for Mr. Harris's class, before slamming the front door and hastily making her way to her car.

          Scott left as well, eager to meet up with Allison and make sure she was okay after the day's events.  So, now, Katarina was left alone with Kota, her emotions running on high.  She had been getting this sickening feeling in her stomach, telling her something was wrong.  Ever since she got out of the hospital and Lydia went missing, the feeling had been lingering over her, making her irritable and nervous.

          Suddenly, she stood from the sofa, looped Kota's leash around her neck and left the house.  She didn't know where she was going, or what she was doing, she just needed to leave.

          After nearly an hour of walking aimlessly around Beacon Hills with her dog, Kat stood outside of Stiles's bedroom -- she knew they left the door into the kitchen unlocked -- with her fist raised but not moving.  She didn't know why she went to him, she could have gone to Scott or Annie - either one of them could have been home by now.  But, her feet led her to the Stilinski house, teary-eyed and all.

          Suddenly, the door opened and Stiles almost walked right into Kat's raised fist.  He spazzed and almost fell to the floor.  Kat couldn't even bring herself to laugh at the behavior she always adored as she let her fist pathetically drop to her side.

          "Kat?  How'd you get in my house?  And why are you here at one in the morning?" Stiles asked after he recovered, the shock on his face quickly being covered with worry when he saw that tears were brimming her eyes. "Are you okay?  Did something happen?"

          Kat opened and closed her mouth like a fish out of water, unable to form an answer.  She didn't even know what was wrong, she just had a deep, dark feeling settling in her stomach and she was scared.  Something was going to happen, but she didn't know what.