Chapter 19: Scorched.

Alphys's POV:

Wow. This human really cares about Grillby. Like, ALOT. She came in with another person, carrying Grillby, who was unconscious, from the looks of it. He reminded me of the symptoms of a heat stroke, except in the opposite cause, since, well, he's a fire elemental.

Anyways,

I rushed him into a new room so I could get him warm again, and back up and running!

Poor Y/N! She looked so fearful and worried! She must REALLY care about Grillby.

Oooh I think she likes him. (。◕‿◕。)

Writing this down in my clipboard is kinda, uh... Silly, but I just have to say it...

I. Ship it.

I SHIP GRILLBY AND Y/N!

I can totally see them living together! With him being super hot and she being all 'Oh Grillby, you're the only one for me!~' kinda trope. Or is it that, with what looked like burns on Y/N's hands, Grillby could be a sadist and have that painful love? 

Or did she accidentally get burned by Grillby in the process of carrying him and this whole time I was over dramatizing it?

Eww I think Mettaton is rubbing off of me.

B-But I have to get to work now! To check up on Y/N! And to make glasses for Grillby.

Still think they'll go well together. :D

Y/N's POV:

After Grillby got discharged, we walked home from Alphys's lab. It was peaceful, the only sounds were the sounds of the machines working and our footsteps. No monsters encountered me. The only ones who did through out my whole time in the underground, were Grillby, and that, one, customer.

Aside from that, Grillby and I were walking peacefully. Any rivalries that had been going on between us, have all of a sudden, disappeared. Grillby was visibly smiling, and glowing brighter. He seemed to be in a happy mood. 

I was too, his aura of cheerfulness infected me, so now I got the smiling disease! But joke aside, we were both just... 

Happy.

Wouldn't you be when your best friend gets discharged from the hospital, and finally, finally, you and them could finally curl up on the couch and just relax for a bit?

That's what I imagined, and wanted.

But I completely forgot about the damage that took a toll on Grillby's.

How I got reminded?

Well, let's just say, Grillby was frozen to the spot when it came into view. I stopped with him, looking to where he was gazing at, and then I paled at the sight of Grillby's, just being, charred, and broken. The surrounding snow has either melted away, or got littered with the black ash that had gotten onto it. I felt bad for Grillby. This was his home, his job, his life, his... everything.

He just lost all of it in a fire. 

How sadistic and ironic is that? I felt extreme sympathy for Grillby, and I rested my hand on his shoulder. He looked to me, from my touch, and when I saw his fiery eyes, they weren't the bright, bubbly ones that I saw earlier, 

no.

They were the ones with fire-filled-tears of sadness that cornered his eyes.

He looked so crestfallen. 

I didn't know if any of me could ever raise his mouth back up again, so it could be full of joy.

I couldn't think of anything that could help.

But I did think of one thing that could at least, comfort him, so that he's not in this alone...

I wrapped my arms around him in a hug. 

He was shocked at first, about my movement, and how it wasn't as chaste as I usually was. I just thought of all the stories of people having co-worker relationships from the surface, and how they are frowned upon, and just threw it out the window with my action. I didn't care at this point, about what I may look like. To a random person, I may look like I am giving Grillby a loving embrace.

Yet, I didn't care.

I just wanted to comfort Grillby through this hard time. Eventually, Grillby, did, hug back. Why it took a while, was probably because of the reason being that he was in shock. I would be shocked too, if Grillby were to hug me suddenly as well. 

But aside from that, Grillby's hug, felt so warm, yet not as warm as he could be. He was flickering pitifully. Representing sadness. I wanted him to become brighter, so he could be warmer, and so he could not be plagued by sadness like he is now.

Grillby lifted his head, and let go of me. He walked to Grillby's, looked at the mess, and he sat down on his knees...

And cried.

He cried his heart out, about his love for this, his effort put into this, his compassion for cooking, his job loss, his ability to serve, his bar's coziness, his one glass that he could never clean...

Everything, just everything that happened here,

he cried about.

Now, it would be all gone. You can repair it, but it would never be the same. You can imagine it, but it will never come back to life. You can wish on it, but wishes don't come true.

Grillby cried, and cried, and cried, until I started to tear up as well.

His sobbing triggered empathy, and I kneeled down as well, and crouched with him, and grieved with him. I didn't have as many memories as he did, but I still had mine. The ones with Grillby, the fox monster, Fuku, the couch...

All of that is now gone.

I leaned against Grillby, in comfortability for my slightly aching neck, and also for a sign to say that I was there for him. He responded with more crying. Just, more crying.

I didn't know what else to do. I felt helpless with him enduring all of this on his own. I wasn't even sure if Fuku knew about this.

The people of Snowdin watched us from their shop, their homes, their inn, and their road. They watched me and Grillby sit in the snow, in front of Grillby's, the famous pub.

They only watched.

They didn't act, or speak.

They just...

watched.