10. The Worst Explanation, Probably Ever

"UGH," PERCY GROANED, holding his head in his hands. "I feel like someone beat my skull with a frying pan."

Annabeth placed her hand on his free one in comfort. "Is it worse than last time?"

He peeked at her through his fingers. "Not necessarily."

Annabeth nodded solemnly and studied their surroundings. They were sitting at the dining table in one of the living rooms at Providence: this one also had a full kitchen as well as a chairs and a sofa. The base was impressive, Annabeth had to admit. The architecture told her that the whole place was made to be sturdy in the event of seismic activity—the framework was built to withstand up to a seven on the Richter scale, and even past that, only minor damage would occur. She wondered where they could be in terms of tectonic plates that this would be a regular issue.

She didn't know how big it was, but from what they'd seen, it was pretty freakin' big. When the plane landed, the ground had opened up to reveal a huge hangar—and the plane had lowered itself down into it like a helicopter. Annabeth was itching to figure out how. Percy had jolted awake as soon as they touched down. She had to take a few seconds to calm him, and then they walked arm in arm down the ramp with the team. She'd done her best to tell him what had happened, and then she expressed her gut feeling—they could trust them. Percy grudgingly agreed. As much as he didn't like the circumstances or the way they'd been treated, there was something that told him they were on the same side.

As it was, the two of them had been dumped here while the team met somewhere else. Coulson said they'd be back soon, and it had only been ten minutes by Annabeth's estimation. Also, there was a clock on the wall.

Percy cleared his throat, jolting Annabeth out of her reverie. "So, we're going to tell them?" His eyes glinted with worry.

Annabeth smiled weakly and squeezed his hand from across the tabletop. "I don't really see any other way out of this. We won't tell them everything, of course," she said quickly, answering his unasked question. "Just the basics. Otherwise they might lock us up for criminal activity or something."

Percy bit his lip, looking down at their interlocked fingers. "Yeah. . .I mean, they're secret agents. They can keep secrets, clearly, but. . ." He trailed off.

Annabeth understood him perfectly. She leaned forward and pressed her forehead against his, closing her eyes. She didn't want to think. She didn't want anything to happen. She just wanted to be.

But no! Their sort-of-kidnappers chose right then to come through the door. At least, that was what her ears told her. She didn't move, keeping her eyes shut as if it would make them go away. Percy didn't move, either.

"Hi," Coulson's voice greeted.

"Hello," Annabeth muttered, opening one eye. Daisy was perched on the arm of the sofa, with Jemma standing behind her a little ways. Fitz had taken a dining chair a few feet away from them. Coulson had his arms crossed. He didn't look angry, though. More inquisitive. Reluctantly, she sat up to face them. "You came to ask questions?"

"Nah," Mack reassured her. She hadn't seen him at first because he was sprawled on the couch, entirely at ease. "We'll just swap stories. How's that?"

Percy huffed. "You first." His hair was disheveled. It was adorable. Annabeth smirked, nodding. No way was she going to spill her guts first.

Coulson nodded as if he was expecting that and gestured to Daisy. "Go ahead."

She stood up and waved halfheartedly. "Hi, I'm Daisy Johnson, formerly Skye, and before that the nuns at the orphanage named me Mary Sue Poots, so obviously that didn't sit well," she said, and tucked some hair behind her ear. Annabeth had to smile. Lightheartedness was hard to come by.