4. Dendrotoxin Is Bad For Demigods

PERCY WISHED THEY hadn't left New Rome that day.

          For one, there was a major thunderstorm about to happen, and two, they were also on the receiving end of some sort of low-speed car chase. Was that a thing?

          Annabeth had been planning on taking the Bay Bridge back to New Rome to get away from the weird guy who thought they were aliens, but a look into the rearview mirror suggested otherwise, because there was a large black van with an eagle emblem on the side, one car behind them. Seriously, if it was such a secret organization, why would they have the logo emblazoned everywhere? Even Mr. D could have figured that out.

They'd made an easy snap decision to head to the beach. After all, Percy was most powerful there, and Annabeth. . .well, she was most powerful anywhere.

"We're almost there," she said, peering at the horizon line. Then she looked in the mirror. "And they're still following us. Great." She dug her cell phone out of her pocket and tossed it to Percy. "Call Jason. Tell him what's up."

Percy nodded and dialed Camp Jupiter's landline. It rang, once, twice, three times, and Percy prayed that someone would hear it, that someone was close enough to the praetors' office to answer. He was about to give up hope when the ringing stopped, and a familiar voice answered the phone. "Hello? Annabeth? What's going on?"

"Jason, dude, it's me. Man, am I glad you picked up. . ."

Annabeth pulled her car to a stop right at the edge of the park, and the two of them practically jumped out, headed for the beach. Percy looked worriedly up at the dark clouds. "I really hope Zeus doesn't fry me while we're trying to make a getaway," he confessed.

"Too late for that last one," Annabeth said darkly, looking over her shoulder. The black van from before was pulling up right behind her car. "Act natural." She slipped her hand into his back pocket, making him smirk despite the circumstances. Suddenly, they just looked like an ordinary couple, having a relaxing, romantic walk on the beach, but that didn't mean they were relaxed. Every one of Percy's muscles was coiled, ready to spring into action if needed, and he felt Annabeth tense.

Percy took off his shoes and held them, making sure to walk through the wet sand in his bare feet. The beach was narrow, maybe ten feet wide, but it was enough. A small wave came up and doused him up to his ankles, giving him just a little more energy. He wasn't planning on using the ocean on the mortals, but if that's what it came to. . .

He kissed Annabeth on the forehead just as three sets of footsteps fell on his ears. He felt her shoulders tighten with anticipation. They turned around.

Walking towards them about fifty feet away was the guy from before, as well as two accomplices—a big, burly black guy, and a girl with short brown hair. Percy blinked in surprise. The two of them could easily be older versions of Silena and Beckendorf. But that wasn't possible. He snuck a peek at Annabeth, and he could tell she was thinking the same thing. They all looked like they were dressed in tactical gear, and Percy knew they had weapons, somewhere.

Thirty feet.

Twenty-five.

Twenty.

The group stopped at about fifteen feet away from him and Annabeth. There was a weird little silence, in which they just stared at each other, waiting.

"Hi," Percy ventured. "How is everyone on this fine afternoon?"

They looked a little surprised, as if they didn't think he could talk, but the guy from before just smiled. "Hi. Remember me?"