6. Once Upon a Dream...

PERCY TWIRLED BLONDE curls through his fingers as he waited for Annabeth to wake up. He wasn't sure if it had been minutes or hours, to be honest, but this waiting was a personal hell. It tended to be that way with them. Or demigods in general, really. Of course, the government creeps told him she would wake up, and logic did, too, because why would they kill her if they had questions to ask her? But in the long run, he was still petrified that something was wrong. Petrified that maybe, just maybe, Annabeth's breathing would slow, then stop for good. He was going insane.

          Percy sucked in a breath. He was not going insane. He was fine. And Annabeth would be, too. Logically. Unless, of course, these weirdos were toying with him or something. But that would be ridiculous. They had no reason to—they were mortal, as far as he could tell. What if they knew the truth, though? Maybe they had a vendetta of some sort? He wasn't sure what a group of mortals could do against gods, but hey, gold star for trying.

          Percy cursed himself for joking around, even in his head. There was nothing to do. Nothing to keep his mind occupied. As much as he tried, he still noticed the shadows dancing just at the edge of his vision, and he frantically tried to think of something, anything, rather than the inevitable. The car. What was going to happen to the car? Would it be towed? Would Camp Jupiter find out? Wait, Camp Jupiter already knew, because of Jason. Had he told Camp Half-Blood? His mom—

          His mom. Gods, Percy felt like an asshole for only thinking of his family now. He desperately hoped they hadn't been told. Not yet. The last thing Sally and Paul needed with a two-year-old running through the apartment was to hear that he and Annabeth had been taken by mortals into a giant black plane. Yeah, that wouldn't stress them out at all. If Jason had common sense—which he did, Percy knew—he wouldn't tell them for a few days. Hopefully.

          The more he thought about it, the more he realized that it was Annabeth they had wanted. If he hadn't been there, they would have taken her anyways. Percy was suddenly very glad that they were sharing a cell in the sky. Right on cue, the plane shook with turbulence. Percy screwed his eyes shut tight as he waited for the rough spot to pass. Looked like Zeus wasn't going to give him a free ride after all.

          "Percy?"

          Percy's eyes flew open. There was Annabeth, awake and alarmed, eyes wide with confusion. "Where—?"

          "We're on their plane," Percy explained, relieved. He leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

          "How?"

          "They shot you with something. Said it was dendrotoxin, but it was blue." He shook his head. "I. . .I thought. . ."

         She put her hands to his face soothingly. "It's okay. I'm okay." Their foreheads touched.

          Percy locked eyes with her, worry etched on his face. "Wise Girl, how do we get out of this one?"

"Well, if you let me figure out what's going on, I can probably tell you," Annabeth mumbled, her voice heavy with sleep.

Percy cracked a smile. "You're hilarious."

"I try," she said, rubbing her eyes and sitting up. She scanned the room, but didn't seem to find anything she was looking for. "Did you—"

"Yeah. I didn't find any bugs, but there's a tiny camera in that corner." He pointed. "Probably not supposed to be found, but I have nice eyes."

"You really do have nice eyes," Annabeth smirked. "Although usually the term is 'good'".

"I knew that."