Chapter 33 | Here They Come

Annabeth POV

Ever since coming home here, Piper had never left my side. She was afraid I would if I see something that would trigger some memories. I hate to admit it, but I needed comfort when I was walking around Camp Half-Blood. Everything was about him. Everything reminds me of him.

Now, as I sat at Zeus' fist for the first time after seven years. I remembered the time we went into the first quest I had handled. The Labyrinth. Our third quest together. The first time I kissed him straight on the lips; before he blew up Mt. St. Helens. I was desperately trying to remember the last time I kissed him. I searched for a memory and vaguely remembered kissing him goodbye when he was going to see my mother, Hades, Apollo. The last day I saw him without being trapped inside my head.

I closed my eyes and swayed to the direction of the wind. I tried to stop thinking and relax. Thoughts of him leads to more thoughts of him and more and more. But relaxation was something I never got. Just by breathing the strawberry scented air here was enough to remind me of him.

I held my forehead between my fingers and sighed. I smiled bitterly, slowly feeling my eyes burning up. I wiped my eyes immediately. I cried enough for this day; granted, I was happy but it was more of a bittersweet feeling.

I heard shuffling behind me and felt someone breathing. I turned around immediately. As I did, A face came to view. As if on cue, my whole demeanor seemed to change. All emotions left my face and my insides felt full of cold fury. My hands clenched at my sides, my nails digging into my skin. This man has the audacity to show his face to me? And after ten years of not being able to see him, I would never forget the face that ruined my whole life.

"Damien..."

He looked lost, panicked. "A-annabeth?"his voice was raspy. "So, it's true."

I got ready to leave, I wasn't ready enough to see him. I think I will never be ready to see him. Why did he have to approach me?

I went to push past him but he held my arm. "Wai-"

I pulled my hand away like it was fire. "Don't..."I said before looking into his eyes. "Don't touch me..."

"I'm sorry."he whispered his head down. "I'm sorry, Annabeth."

My mind went blank. Did I hear it right? I felt my face kept void of emotions as I stare back into his eyes. The silence took over for minutes until the he took the silence as a chance to continue.

"I'm sorry for what I have done. I really am, Annabeth."

"You fucking liar."I said in a harsh whisper. "Is this one of your games again? One of your ploys? What's your plan now? WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?!"

He shook his head. I didn't even realize he was crying. He shook his head over and over again. "No...no...no" he muttered. "It's not a play, Annab-"

I punched him. I didn't hold back. I punched him for just one time with my quivering fists. It was only one punch but the moment my fist connected with his face, I felt a sense of satisfaction. But I knew I will never be satisfied with just that. "Stop saying my name! You have no right to say my name!"

He staggered back. He held his face and stared at me. At the instant our eyes met, I almost felt sorry for him. Almost. Until I heard his voice in my head. His voice ordering my body to do things while I was trapped in my own head. Knowing what's to come, I brought down my hands to my sides and looked down the floor to stop it. I felt tears threathening to fall and it did. I shamelessly looked back up to him again.

He stared at me wide-eyed, similar tears cascading his face. He took a step forward but suddenly retreated back again. He looked lost on what to do. But I didn't care.