Chapter 12

The sun rose over the morning hills in the east, warming the sky in vibrant pinks and yellows

The sun rose over the morning hills in the east, warming the sky in vibrant pinks and yellows. Bright as a field of flowers. 

Jerocobish stood over the stake that marked Ma Jeans grave. Head bowed. Hat against his chest. Lost in an abundance of memories, good and bad, happy and sad: their life had been a journey, he knew.

"I'm uncertain how I'll go about it alone," He whispered. "But I'll do my best...until we meet again in the prairie." 

Jostice stood behind him holding quiet while Grotknot stood soaked in tears. 

"Thank you, Gentlemen." Jerocobish turned towards them. "For being here." He took a breath...the air was too fresh and cold, he thought, and tasted of the fall right before winter; not like the cherry tobacci that warmed his lips and lungs. Time for a change...

"Straddle the horses."

It was quite the morning ride down the hillside. Jostice mounted the mare, Wildwind, who was normally calm yet felt tense between his legs, nervous from the golden hawk that squawked on the man's shoulder.

"Can you get that bird to settle down?" Jeroco asked. His head throbbed.

"I've tried…" Jostice raised a finger and the bird snapped, nearly making him pay the price. "This feathered bitch is as stubborn as that colt you're on."

Jasper yanked and pulled in every direction. His head bobbing like an enthused dog. Eyes watching everything except the road. Trust the horse, Jerocobish always said though it was easier said than done when riding the young buck. 

"He'd be fine if you just shut that bird up...Gonna give our position away." Jerocobish shifted in the saddle, countering his weight. He pulled the reins and caught himself before spilling over. "Why'd you bring that damned bird, no how?"

"It's the only way she'll learn...to ride along with us."

"Remmiron had a thing with birds—you had a thing with ladies—what are ya gonna do...swoon her?"

"If that's what it'll take." Jostice said, tilting his head in time to keep his ear from being bitten. "Besides, I always win them over."

Jeroco heckled, "the uglies, sure."

Grotknot chuckled and his cheeks bleed red. "You both wine like the whores in Stablerock...If you two put on a skirt and a wig I'm certain you'd find your pockets full of buckbacks."

"Ain't no man paying buckbacks for a rock whore."

"They would if they heard you lot." He chuckled. "There'd be a line from one side of town to the other."