Chapter 5

I love it out here

I love it out here...

Leslie tasted the crisp northern air. It bit at her tongue, squeezing her lungs on inhale. She held it for a moment, then exhaled, feeling warm breath on her lips as a gray cloud swirled and vanished.

There's no place like Lone Creek.

Leslie walked beneath the morning sun, eyes on the mist rolling over the perch. She pivoted southward, facing the twenty Sundown City deputies who stood eyes locked, chins high, backs straight, and arms at their sides.

"Do you know why we've come?"

Silence spread amongst the men, a few out of distaste for the young, twenty-seven-year-old Sheriff. Leslie only had three years of service with the law, while most of the others had spent their whole lives with a badge pinned to their shirts. Nobody got respect when it wasn't earned...

"Anybody?"

"To freeze our asses off?" Kenneth said, his tone was low and harsh as winter.

Leslie faced him, eyes narrowing.

He towered the other's, his shoulders broad, and lip scarred from a cleft lip that'd been butch-sown. The salt and pepper coloring in his hair told of his forty-five years, while the wrinkled tan, long-tailed coat, trousers, and brimmed hat spoke of his tidiness.

Leslie approached him and stopped a foot away. She crossed her arms, matching his cold gaze. "What is your pecker cold, Kenneth?"

"I hope you'd ask, because it is," he winked, "why don't you warm it up fer me?"

Kenneth's eyes slowly drew down her body, falling from her crimson strands and hazel eyes to the freckles that spotted her cheeks. He licked his lips once he gazed upon her own. Then he grinned once he found her chest, lingering there for her to notice. Eyes throbbing. Grin deepening. Undressing her in his mind.

Her skin crawled. Leslie said, "I think dull times have made you soft."

"That and the cold," He smirked, glimpsing down at his loins. "Now about that hand-"

"Keep that vile trap of yours shut, ya hear?" Barrot took a step forward just out of rank, hands on his revolvers. "I've had about enough out of you."

"Deputy Warner! Did I ask for your assistance?"

Kenneth raised his chin, smirking.

Barrot's took a long, drawn breath. The youth in his eyes returning. He was only three years the younger; a young buck with a stallion's heart; true to her and true to justice, though a bit too over-protective.

"No, Sheriff. Just tired of him undermining ya, that's all."

Leslie nodded, appreciating the gesture, though this was not the time. If she was to get a handle on the men, she'd need to do it with her own hand.