Classes & Glasses

Leela's POV 

Today was the first day of class. It was our break time. I had just finished eating lunch with Ignasia, Gamora, and Angelica. I told them I'd meet them in a bit, right after I visited the Sapphire Owl house library. I had heard so much about the books, how many there were, and how big, quiet, and peaceful the library was. I could barely control my excitement. 

I ran across the lawn I was allowed to cross, raced through the school halls, and rushed into my house. I turned the corners and rushed through the corridors. Soon enough, I was in the house library. 

I walked in quietly and took in the sight. Books were all around me, as if nothing else in the world existed. Rows and rows filled the library, and tables were all around the library for students. I saw an area in the back of the library. It was quiet, and there was a small table with two chairs. There was a window right nest to one of the chairs, being covered by old velvet curtains. I headed over to the table, grabbed a book from one of the shelves, and started to read happily. 

I was deep into the book by now. My nose was trapped in the book, as my eyes carefully scanned each word. My fingers would carefully turn each page, enjoying the feeling of the paper in my hands. I was in love with this book. It was called All Fall Down, by Ally Carter. 

Soon enough, I had finished the book. I looked up at the clock and saw that we still had ten minutes left of break. 'Oh no,' I thought. 'Guess I'll just have to check out another book, then.'  I looked for the second book in the series. As I was searching, I saw a book disappear from the shelf and vanish to the other side of the shelf. I looked through the gap left by the book.

It was none other than Mr. Lawrence Bluer.

He was looking through the book with a serious face, while lifting his glasses up to the bridge of his nose. I chuckled. 

"Hello, Lawrence," I whispered softly. He looked up and smiled at me.

"Leela. It's nice to see you again." Lawrence closed his book and came to meet me on the other side of the shelf. 

"Which book are you looking for?" He whispered, while looking at me curiously. "See How They Run by Ally Carter," I replied quietly. He nodded and motioned for me to follow him. We weaved our way through the shelves, while I would scan the shelves for any interesting looking books. I would quietly swipe them from the shelves. By the time Lawrence stopped in front of one of the massive rows, I had seven books piled in my hands. He turned, looked at the books in my hands, then at me, and chuckled. I smiled back at him.

"Here it is," he said. I followed his finger to the book he was pointing at. It was the right one. I grabbed it from the shelf and thanked him. 

"I'm sorry I couldn't find it myself. You walked a long way to help me find one book," I said shyly. I looked at the book in my hand and started scanning the book summary. He tapped the book in front of me to grab my attention.

"Leela, there's no need to apologize. Sometimes the books get misplaced and wind up in the strangest corners of the library." I nodded in understanding. My eyes drifted to the check out stand. Lawrence must have caught me looking.

"Shall we?" He motioned to the stand, as I happily nodded.

Eventually, we left the library and started heading to class. We talked about our favorite subjects, authors, books, etcetera. We neared the class halls and ended the conversation about our siblings. Turned out we both had six sisters.

We both stopped and stared at the halls, then looked at each other. 

"Um. What class do you have next?" He asked shyly. I smiled as I said, "Biology." His face lit up. "Oh really?" I nodded. "Why, do you also I have biology next?" He nodded happily. I could feel my smile grow. "Oh, that's perfect!" I exclaimed. 

I ran through the hall, careful not to drop my books. 

"Hey, wait! Leela!" Bluer's footsteps were close behind me. I laughed as I turned around. "Come on, Lawrence!" He hurried and caught up to me. 

Once we were in front of the biology classroom, we peeked and saw that no body was there yet. The bell hadn't rung. We waited in front of the classroom and chatted some more about biology and cracked some biology puns.

The bell rang and eventually the door unlocked. The professor motioned for us to come inside. I looked into the classroom nervously. I was so nervous that my glasses were sliding down the tip of my nose without me noticing. I looked at Bluer. "I'm really nervous. What if I get called on and I don't know the answer and everyone laughs at me and then I-"

He shook his head and patted my shoulder. "Don't be nervous. You'll do great." He sounded so confident in my abilities, even more than I am. I nodded my head and took a deep breath. "Thanks, Lawrence." I smiled up at him. 

Then he did the strangest thing. He took my glasses and lifted them up to the bridge of my nose. I looked down, growing shy. 

"Come, Leela. We have some biology to study." And with that, the two of us walked into the classroom together.