16.

16.

Illuminating lights, loud music and bodies pressing to each other; that was the sight Max came to face. Elena had pleaded her to join her, Bonnie and Stefan to keep an eye on an emotionless Caroline. Of course the Finnigan girl decided to go, not because she believed the blonde had to be watched but for the sole purpose of speaking to Bonnie about Kai.

Damon had demanded her not to help Kai with his apology to Bonnie, but Max wasn't going to listen. She knew that Damon would somehow present the warlock in front of her and force her to listen to his apology. It wasn't a good idea. That's why the brunette vampire would take a different approach.

Searching through the crowd, she found Elena. Max had no desire to babysit Caroline. She had made it clear that if anyone tried to bring her humanity back, blood would rain. The Mystic Falls gang though didn't listen and chose to do the opposite of leaving their friend alone.

"I'm not sure if coming here was the right choice, after all"

Max said, observing her surroundings as she stood next to Elena.

"Well, I'm glad you're here. An extra pair of eyes is welcome" she crossed her arms to her chest.

Max followed Elena's gaze to find her looking at Caroline, who was dancing with a guy.

Her, looking carefree almost resembled to the old human Caroline, a teenage girl in high school whom the supernatural world hadn't eroded yet. 

"You know, maybe letting her do her thing for a year won't be so bad. I mean, if any vampire could turn their emotions off and still manage to stay rational, it would be Caroline"

As Max finished her sentence, the blonde looked at both of them. Black veins formed under her red eyes as she threatened to bite the man's shoulder. Elena was about to take a step forward to intervene when Caroline's brows shot up, challenging her.

"Elena, don't" Max mattered.

The Gilbert girl decided against stepping forward and Caroline shot both of her friends a smile, before whispering that she was fine.

Max let out a sigh and repeated, "Yeah, respecting her choices is what we're going to do"

Right after the moment she finished her sentence, she felt her phone vibrating inside her pocket. It was Kai calling her.

"Hey, I'm gonna get a drink, you comin'?" Elena asked.

"No...I need to get this" Max showed her the phone and moved away to a more secluded space to talk.

"Seems like you can't do a minute without me" she teased.

"Funny, usually those are things I only say" Damon's voice replied, taking Max by surprise.

"Okay, why do you have Kai's phone? And where is he?" she furrowed her eyebrows in curiosity.

"Well, I can't seem to find my own and his was right in front me. Plus, he's being an ass and won't say anything about my mother unless I lead him straight to Bonnie. But you know, being a totally normal and sane person that she is, wants nothing to do with him. So, do you have any idea what the hell should I do?" Damon rambled.

Max noticed that he was pissed and desperate at the same time. Could you blame him though? Damon had a strong desire to find what was going on with his mother, who until a few days back was presumed dead, but to do so, he had to fulfill Kai's desire and disrespect Bonnie's wishes at the same time. The Salvatore truly had come to a dead end. Gladly, Max was about to help him and become the bad guy of this story.