12.

12.

"Where are Elena and Damon?" Kai asked Max.

They entered the Salvatore mansion to celebrate Bonnie's birthday, just like Elena had mentioned. She and the rest of the gang had planned to make a cake, decorate the whole house and celebrate her birthday just as she would've wanted them to. Everything was set up in the living room, from balloons and drinks to a colorful 'Happy Birthday' sign and different desserts.

"They're in the kitchen" Max replied to the warlock as they continued walking in the living room and observing the decorations.

"Are they kissing? Just like we did five minutes ago?" he whispered curiously next to her ear, the smirk audible in his voice.

The brunette vampire stopped walking and turned around to look at him with an 'are you serious' look.

"What are you, five?"

He had gone along with her because he honestly needed Elena and Damon's help. After his merge with Luke, he had started to feel things he only felt when he was with Max. It was pretty weird for him to experience things he only wanted to feel with her, on a daily basis and that hadn't last for more than a day. However, Kai was freaking out; he was used to being a sociopath and frankly he enjoyed, so to suddenly start caring for others and crying with no reason was terrifying him.

Max had no idea about this but was about to find out since he wanted her to be with him when he would ask for the couples' help. She calmed him down, preventing him from doing anything stupid and made him feel safe. The brunette vampire was his home he never had and to slowly starting to get her back after all these years made him truly happy.

"Actually..." Kai started to joke but she cut him off.

"Oh shut up" Max chuckled.

"Hello?" He shouted to the couple, making his presence known.

"...he's packed and he's on his way to Portland" Damon said loudly right before they entered the kitchen.

"Oh! Forgot how massive this house was...Yum! Cupcakes" the warlock commented suddenly all too happy.

"Oh god" Max mumbled under her breath and looked around, catching Elena's eyes looking at her questionably.

"Sorry, are we interrupting something?" Kai asked innocently.

"What are you doing here? I'm talking about you little psycho" Damon referred to Kai in despair.

"Kai wants your help and I still don't know what I'm doing here with him but...I'll let him explain" Max awkwardly rambled.

"Actually I really want you here with me" He whispered to her ear causing her to smile, before continued to talking.

"Funniest thing; just like my beautiful... ex mentioned I need your help" He raised his hands to show an envelope with Jo's name on it.

When Elena saw it, she crossed her arms to her chest and her face went sour. "Why would we give a letter to Jo?"

"I haven't been able to find her using a locator spell and you know good on her, because under normal circumstances I'd be super jazzed to gouge out her belly button" Kai explained making Max roll her eyes.

Damon looked at his friend, quite shocked seeing as how she could ever be with a human being like the warlock.

"Were you seriously dating that thing?"

"Damon, please you don't have the right to have an opinion on this" Max commented, referring to him dating Elena.

"You have a point" He stated.