04.

04.

"Oh my god, ah thank you" Max spoke after a long time of silence.

Stefan appeared at the right time and shot Enzo near his heart with the dead hunter's stake gun and Max was actually thankful he did. Even if the situation between the couple was tense, she was really happy that he showed up at the right time.

"No problem. I'm going to kill him anyway" He casually walked straight to Enzo and was about to grab him by his shirt when Max got in his way.

"No you're not" Max stated and he gave her a surprised glance in return.

"I'm sorry, what? He tried to kill you, he has tried to kill me more than one time and he'll do it again! I'm not going to let him torture us anymore. I think I'll actually help a lot people by killing him" He angrily tried to walk away from Max and get to Enzo's unconscious body, but she prevented him again.

"I do hate him and I wouldn't mind if you killed him, but think about your brother, Stefan. Enzo is Damon's best friend and probably the only one who is compatible with him. They are the worst combination together, but when they're together they're not causing the chaos they would on their own. So please don't do it. For Damon"

Stefan looked at her pointedly for a few moments, contemplating on to kill him or not. Finally the hate for Enzo prevailed.

"Sorry shorty, Damon's dead" he called her with the nickname he'd always have. He stepped aside, grabbed Enzo and started walking before he stopped as the girl spoke again.

"Didn't you just hear me earlier when I said that I have a theory? Are you in denial all of a sudden?" She was holding herself not to start yelling in the middle of the forest. One hour earlier she had revealed her secret to Stefan and he scolded once he heard it. Now, he was telling her that his brother was dead, as if that moment back at the mechanic's never happened.

"In denial? I heard what you said earlier, except it's just a theory! You said it yourself. You don't even know if it's true, let alone how to bring them back. So until you find something real, stop telling me what to do" Stefan yelled and continued walking away.

Max let out a dry laugh, not believing what she had just heard. Stefan was being a jerk, just because he hated Enzo. He was acting selfishly, so blinded by his ego that he didn't think straight.

"I thought you were smart enough not to let your emotions get the best of you. I was wrong" she whispered, knowing that Stefan was listening. She looked down as he disappeared. How did we get to this moment? , she asked herself, disappointed.

Max and Stefan never argued. Was it the undeniable love, the circumstances? She didn't know but she was grateful about the fact that this had never happened before, until this moment. Damon's disappearance had gotten the best of Stefan and the worry was eating him alive. Although she was desperately trying to ease his pain, he would grow distant even more, leading Max to a point where she didn't know what to do. That's why she decided that she had to let him do what he wanted and not get in his way. She was done trying to please everyone, especially him.

++

The lake was full of people swimming, socializing and having fun while Max was walking with confidence. Her life right now had more drama in it than all of the seasons of gossip girl; sort of. Caroline was most likely not going to talk to her again for a long time, Stefan would do the same and if Enzo were still alive, he would continue torturing her until she brought Bonnie and Damon back to life. The ones who were still talking to her, because they hadn't been informed with the latest news, were Matt, Tyler, Jeremy and of course Elena, with whom she was about to have a nice chat, obviously because she was slightly in front of her.