03.

03.

When someone close to you dies, some people believe that the best thing you should do is to move forward. Cry until your eyes can't spill more tears, until the pain in your heart can't get worse, grieve and then...take a breath and move forward. Start living without them, get used to the idea that the person you miss won't come back again and continue with your life. That's what most people do, but Stefan is not one of them.

After the encounter with Enzo and Caroline, his attitude changed. He left right away that night and didn't return until the next morning. Max tried to talk to him and see what was going on, but he turned her down.  At first, she wasn't annoyed by this; on the contrary, she understood that Caroline's words had a true impact on him. That's why he wanted his space for a bit, to clear things out with himself and his feelings.

A few days passed though and Stefan continued acting the same way; not only did he stop answering her questions, he also started ignoring her, leading her to the decision that she had to put an end on this.

So, there she was, standing in the middle of the mechanic's while Stefan was repairing a car. Max had her arms crossed to her chest and was waiting him to notice her, maybe even speak first. The thing is that he didn't, although he knew she was there. Stefan wasn't in the mood of having a fight, neither talking to anyone; he wanted to be alone for a short amount of time, just to figure out his next step.

When Enzo showed up at his doorstep, he got furious. At first, he tried not to show it but as Damon's friend started revealing to Caroline about his life the months that had passed and the mention of his brother, he lost it. He attacked him and Enzo had the guts to threaten his girlfriend, just to push his buttons even more.

Despite his fight with Enzo, one thing intrigued Stefan the most and that wasn't how Enzo had found them or what he wanted; it was what he said to Max when he was trying to choke her to death. He had mentioned that she had many secrets and if that was true, Stefan had to find them out because the curiosity was killing him. He was torn, because he couldn't bring his mind to this. Is she actually hiding things from me? That's the question he was making to himself all the time and it was also one of the reasons he was ignoring her.

"Are you going to ignore me again?" Max decided to speak first. It was the right thing to do from her point of view, seen as Stefan wasn't going to break his silence any time soon. And he didn't, as she expected. She let out a sigh because of his immaturity, bent down and dragged him towards her with her vampire strength, causing him to groan. She rolled her eyes and then gave him a pointed look, like saying "Will you talk to me already?"

Stefan sighed and got up. He wiped the grease off of his hands with a towel and then he looked her in the eye. He thought that it was now or never, so he got straight into the point. "What are you hiding from me?" Once the words were let out of his mouth, anyone could sense the change of expression on her face. From being critical, the look on her face changed, giving off the feeling of surprise.

She tried to find words to say something, but she couldn't. How could she respond to this, when she didn't know if what she was hiding was even possible? The reason why Max didn't want to reveal it to Stefan was still the same; the hopes he would gain, would crash if she could not bring his brother back, and Bonnie of course.

"Um..." she cleared her throat, trying to start from somewhere. "Well...can we talk about this somewhere more private?" she asked him. The uneasiness in her voice was becoming more and more obvious as she was talking, because of the accusing glare Stefan was giving her.

"Fine, let's go outside" He agreed and they started walking out. The tension between them was like a cloud of smoke in the air, as none of them was talking. Stefan was waiting for Max to explain; while she was gathering all the courage she could find in order to begin. It wasn't the easiest revelation she had to make.