No Tricks Left On My Sleeves

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

T o r i

Two hours before the execution...

Sabi ng isang opisyal sa akin na maghanda na raw ako. Isa siya sa mga taong aking natulungan noon, lalo na noong aplikante pa lang siya, kaya naman todo alaga siya sa akin dito. This is why the authorities are not allowed to accept gifts or favors. Hindi kayang bayaran ng pera ang utang na loob. Vice versa. "Maligo na po kayo, ma'am. Pagkatapos po nun ay pwede na po kayong kumain ng hapunan." Tumango ako at dumiretso na sa banyo. "At nandyan po pala yung abogado niyo."

"Sino?"

"Si attorney De Leon po, ma'am." Ano na namang ginagawa niya dito? Sinabi ko na ngang ayoko nang umapila. "Papasukin ko po ba sa selda niyo?"

"Mawalan ka pa ng trabaho, 'wag na."

"Sige po."

"'Pag nagsungit, hayaan niyo lang. 'Pag nanutok ng baril, tawagin niyo ako."

"Galit na galit po, ma'am." I knew this would happen. I guess I have to postpone my shower and talk to her. "Kakausapin niyo po?" I nodded, kung kaya naman pinosasan ako nito. He led me to the visitation area. I told the guy kunin ako agad 'pag sumenyas na ako. "Sige po."

🎶 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, 2Pac feat. Snoop Dogg

"What the fuck d'you want?" Those were my first words to her and she didn't seem to be happy about what she just heard. This one is deadly but she thinks she's righteous. "Attorney De Leon, in the flesh."

"You're about to die, Valmont."

"Are you gonna tell me some flashy speech 'cause I'm up for it." Reese wiped the phone first, she even sniffed the damn thing before pressing it back to her ears. "Germs won't kill you, but your idiocy will if you don't take your girl back."

"She's no damsel in distress. Mackenzie will be fine without me."

"Says who?" I guess may concern din pala ang taong 'to sa'kin. She wouldn't be here kung hindi 'yon totoo. "Do you remember the time you kneeled in front of me, Red was there, and you were begging me to buy Mackenzie's freedom from that small-time cartel? Dude, you were crying. Ugly fucking tears, Renesmee." Reese looked away, feeling embarrassed. "Actually, thanks to her, you became my consigliere. I wouldn't be this, and I mean this rich, if it wasn't for you."

"Are you blackmailing me? 'Cause I saved your ass when we were still studying Criminology." Oh, yeah, I remember. An inmate tried to kill me, namukhaan yata ako non. "I could've just easily watched as you asphyxiate, Valmont. You were hitting on Mackenzie by the time and I wanted to kill you myself."

"Um, for the record, I only kissed her to spite you."

"You, sick fuck. Karma's catching up." Reese breathed heavily. I guess she was about to discuss my case kung hindi lang ako nambwiset, eh. "So, after I get off, I'm gonna go straight to Austin and ask him to hold off on you being shot."

"Guy's a puppet now. He's being watched. Leave him off."

"What a useless piece of shit."

"Oh, you sad, mami?"

"Goodbye, Valmont. I'll go fetch your girl now."