Chapter 4- Where the Fault Lies

Start from the beginning

"Captain Rogers." I turn to see a SHIELD agent standing behind me.

"Do you know where Zoey is?" I ask quickly.

"The Redbird was flown to the hellicarrier." He tells me, "It was flying near Russia when she was located. The hellicarrier just came in about ten minutes ago. "

"Thank you." I say earnestly, rushing into the elevator, taking it to the basement. 

I get off at the underground level, seeing the hellicarriers parked in the massive warehouse.

I recognise the hellicarrier that I spent so much time on two years ago when we fought Loki in New York.

I run through the crowds of agents, many people watching as I make my way up the stairs into the hellicarrier.

"Agent Hill!" I spot her in the control room, "Is Zoey here?"

"They just brought her in." Maria tells me, "She's in the infirmary."

I nod and rush over to the elevator, getting out and running to the infirmary.

Clint, Natasha and Tony all crowd around the door, banging on it.

"Is she in there?" I ask desperately.

"Yes." Tony says.

I glance at the entire group, who have all changed in appearance.

Natasha's kept her hair long, not bothering to cut it. She still wears her SHIELD uniform, having spent the last three months looking for Zoey.

Clint is the same, but with harder frown lines in his forehead.

The one of us who stayed relatively the same is Tony, who still wears a posh suit and shades, but I can see he's lost a lot of weight underneath the fancy clothes.

I bang on the door, before Fury appears down the hall, followed by two SHIELD operatives.

"Director?" I ask furiously, "Why can't we go in and see her?"

"She's weak, Captain." He says, "She's not even conscious. You don't want to see her right now."

"I do!" I insist.

"Steve." He puts a hand on my shoulder, looking me dead in the eye. "You don't want to see what they've done to her."

I swallow and nod, wishing I could break down the door.

But, like everything at SHIELD, it's immune to my strength.

"Dr. Banner is tending to her." He assures me, "She's in safe hands."

The door opens and a nurse comes out, allowing us a glimpse of Zoey.

Everyone gasps at the sight of her. She's covered in grime and blood, barely even recognisable.

The door shuts on our faces, everyone turning away.

I sigh and follow them to the conference room, taking a seat at the large table.

We wait for what seems like hours, with no news of Zoey ever surfacing.

After such a long time, Bruce appears.

"How is she?" I ask urgently, "Is she awake?"

"Yes." Bruce says, "But you can't see her yet. She's getting some tests done, then we'll clean her up."

"Is she hurt badly?" I ask cautiously.

"Steve," He swallows, "After three months, I think you already know the answer to that."