Chapter 17- Good with the Patriotic Stuff

HERE WE ARE AGAIN

IT'S TIME

LET'S ROLL

~ ~ ~

Zoey's POV

I don't look at Steve as we make our way through the small forest near the Triskellion, going the long way towards the building so as to not be seen.

We make it to the Project Insight headquarters, Steve smashing open a door to get us in.

Maria then pulls out a device, taking over the intercom system in the building, causing a high pitched sound wave to travel to each employee's earpiece.

We wait outside the door to the head office, Sam and Maria raising the guns as it's opened by an Insight tech employee.

"Excuse us." Steve says to him, and the man immediately raising his hands, allowing us through.

I walk into the office, eyeing all the people inside, who are watching us with wide eyes.

Sam and I herd them all into a corner while Maria sets up an intercom for Steve. I look at each employee in turn, trying to recognise any that played apart in my torture all those months ago.

"It's all yours." Maria says to Steve, and I look over my shoulder to see him walk up to the microphone.

A tech agent tries to run to the door, but I lazily reach out with my hand, stopping him with a force field and sending him flying back into the group with a yelp.

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers." Steve begins, and we all watch him as he addresses the entire Triskellion building. "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you."

"They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot the Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it." Steve glances up at me, and I avert my gaze. "But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

He steps away from the microphone, and Sam watches him with a grin.

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" He asks him.

"Yes, he's good with the patriotic stuff." I say to Sam in a sarcastic voice. Steve glances at me again, but I look away from him.

"Let's go." Steve tells us, and Sam nods to him.

I send the computer tech through a door, the five of them running off out of sight.

Maria takes a seat and starts setting up her device so that she can track everything on the computers, and I put my hand on her shoulder as I pass her.

"Good luck." I say, and she silently pats my hand.

Steve, Sam and I run out of the room, heading down to the basement where the Hellicarriers are.

Before we can even get there a loud siren goes off, and the sounds of large doors opening can be heard throughout the place.

"They're initiating launch." Maria tells us through the intercom.

"Shit." I curse, and Sam laughs at my swearing.

"Shit indeed." He agrees as we run out towards the Hellicarriers, which are now in full daylight, and are taking off into the air.