WE ARRIVE TO KERYS (Iselen P.O.V)

Start from the beginning

Lucifer can't take our teenage behaviour anymore and every time we start fooling around I think I can see him rolling his feline eyes. Usually he ignores us but one night he jumped on the bed in his panther form and he slept between us, keeping us apart as saying "it's enough, you perverts." They've been the happiest days of my life and I can say proudly that I've learnt how to light a candle just with the impulse of my mind and I'm able to move the teaspoon in my cup without touching it. Ruby claims that is quite an achievement in such a short time.

On the other hand I'm feeling fine, I mean, physically I've never been better in my life... which is curious given that I've been spending most of the time confined in a cabin and yet I'm in better shape than ever, my hair shine and my skin looks rosy and healthy. Under normal circumstances I could think that an intense sexual life makes you look younger but I know that it isn't the case.

One morning I was having breakfast absentmindedly while giving ham chunks to Lucifer; I drank my orange juice and I placed the empty glass on the table. At that time I looked up and I realized that Ruby was staring at me intensely, then she looked at the glass and back to me. I remembered what she had said and that made my skin crawl, I savoured my mouth with my tongue but I couldn't find any strange taste: just orange juice. I couldn't help thinking about it ever since that day, initially I didn't feel different but after a few days my physical condition got significantly better. I couldn't know how much she was giving me or how often so I started monitoring her movements during our meals.

I was getting more and more obsessed and I knew Ruby wasn't about to let that happen, she was starting to get annoyed with me because of my constant surveillance. One evening she was reading while I filled up my time embroidering roses on a ribbon, old habits are the most difficult to break, when I made a decision. I got out of my chair, I walked up to Ruby and I kneel down in front of her. She looked at me confused, she'd been so focused on her book that she hadn't noticed my movements. I took one of her hands and very slowly in order to let her see what I was doing clearly, I stuck my embroidery needle in her index. I took a deep breath and I licked with my tongue the blood drop I'd drawn: vanilla... How the hell her blood tastes like this? It's assumed that blood must taste, I don't know, kind of metallic. But no, my vampire's blood tastes like a dessert. Well, it wasn't bad and what had she said? That it could turn sex into something wild. I decided to verify it on the spot...

Finally is our turn to disembark. Standing on the dock next to our luggage, a mare and a cat we look a bit eccentric but nobody seems to pay attention to us. Ruby places her hand on my back while I feel like the world teeters for a moment when I step on land again.

- Don't worry, that's what happen after a long boat trip. It will pass – she mutters absentmindedly next to me.

The Sorceress is keeping her eyes fixed on the other passengers of our boat: the captain's wife stays on the dock with her daughter, the lady and her two sons are getting on a carriage sent by her husband while the two merchants that travelled with us are pointing their fingers at what seems to be a rented carriage that is heading our way. Ruby plasters on a fake smile and speaks:

- Excuse me gentlemen, I think this is our ride.

Both businessmen look at her confused for a while till a stupid smile spreads across their faces before nodding vigorously. They even help us to place our bags on the roof rack and they make sure Deva is well tied up to the back of the carriage. With a word of thanks, Ruby climbs the step and sits down in front of me while the coachman moves away from the port towards the city centre.

- I saw it – the Sorceress raises an eyebrow – when you projected your energy it was like... air swirling... and suddenly they were obeying your will.

- Well done babe. You were studying and practicing a lot these last few days. I'm very proud of you.

- Where are we going?

- Good question. I don't know yet. Would you like to come with me and figure it out?

- How?

Without a word and with an amused smile on her face she takes my hand and she orders me to close my eyes. Suddenly, an awful lot of voices are echoing loudly through my mind making me flinch in my seat. I feel pain just for a few seconds till the majority of the voices get quiet and I only hear one or two sometimes. They're talking about... houses? "... the old man rent it cheap but it's a hovel...", "... it's a bargain but the tavern downstairs is very noisy...", "... it's almost a palace, you could go bankrupt buying firewood in winter...", "... a jewellery craftsman. The house has been recently renovated but the woman just became a widow and she prefers to move in with her daughter... Apple Tree Square"

- That's where we're going, honey: Apple Tree Square – Ruby pokes her head out of the window to give the coachman the address.

- Do you do that to me too? – I ask still dazed by the feeling of diving in other's peoples mind.

- No, I promised that if you maintained a good behaviour your thoughts would be only yours. However sometimes you think so loudly that I can hear you inevitably, like when you curse and talk dirty in the middle of an orgasm.

- I don't do that!

- Not out loud, babe – she answers winking mischievously.

The Apple Tree Square is located upper town, close to the market and the different trade guilds headquarters along the main street. It's a quiet place, a residential neighbourhood, with good-sized and well-maintained houses obviously belonging to the wealthy middle-class. They're all pretty much the same: narrow but tall, with a ground floor, two other floors and an attic, a little backyard where the well is, flower-filled balconies and windows painted with bright colours. The Square has a round shape, with an apple tree in the centre that gives shade to a fountain, and one of the sides is open like a balcony overlooking the sea and the roofs of the houses that slope down towards the port.

Ruby walks without hesitation towards the house closer to that balcony, the one that surely has stunning views over the sea at the same time that it's protected from the north winds. It's painted in soft yellow with white windows, where pots of carnations stand out, and there's a glazed wooden gallery on the second floor. She knocks at the door vigorously and a middle aged lady wearing white clothes opens it.

- I heard that you're selling your house.

The Sorceress smile is so sweet that could cause indigestion just by looking at it but it works. In a blink the purchase contract is signed, the keys are in Ruby's hand, the former owner is on a carriage on her way to her daughter's home with her luggage, Deva is in the little backyard shed and Lucifer sleeping under the sun on the living room windowsill, like he's been living here for years. Bewildered, I look at Ruby who's choosing what bags she wants to carry to our bedroom. Everything has been moving so fast, a lot has changed in a short amount of time, I feel like my life has turned upside down. Overwhelmed, I start to feel dizzy but, even before I can reach the table next to me to keep my balance, Ruby is holding me already in her arms.

- Breathe slowly and stay calm, Iselen – I feel her mental touch relieving my anxiety – I know you're tired, honey, but it's over now. We're going to live here a long time, a quiet life without adventures. Everything will be okay, all right?

I nod against her shoulder, my muscles get relaxed and I lean on her body. Her familiar scent, vanilla and dry herbs that she uses on her potions, gives me comfort. One of her hands is rubbing my nape gently while she cups my cheek with her other hand. Her lips kiss my forehead.

- Do you feel better? – She asks me staring at me.

I nod with a smile that gets petrified on my face when I feel her fingers grabbing my chin hard, so hard that her knuckles are white and I'm sure that tomorrow I'll have her fingertips marked in a dark shade on my skin.

- You won't go out of this house without my permission. In fact, you won't go out of this house without me and, when that happens, you won't leave my sight for any reason. Am I clear? Now go upstairs and lie on the bed for a while.

- Yes Ruby – I answer holding back my tears.