Chapter 36

"Please, Tommy, please."

The trigger pulled and it ended his life.

It looked death was the only Cure that they had after all.

Newt woke up with a start. His heart thumping out of his chest and beads of sweat flowing from his head. He looked around and only saw darkness surrounding him. It was then he remembered that he was in (Y/N)'s room and they were back inside the Berg. Jack's note still hidden inside the palm of his hand. He couldn't let it go since the moment he read it.

The writing wasn't that good and it meant that Jack was in a hurry. Minho made some comment that he needed to work on his penmanship as they all read the letter.

(Y/N) is dying.

I left to get Crank's blood for her but she was gone when I got back.

Now, WICKED is coming and they're coming for us. (Y/N) might be in WICKED.

Save her!

This is the last pint of her blood for Newt so that he could be fully cured.

Newt looked at his other hand where the blood was making its way into his body. Curing him once and for all.

He tried to shake the dream out of his mind. It was scary and it was what could've happened to him if there was no (Y/N). If she didn't Cure him. His own best friend would have to kill him. Taking in a deep breath, he tried to make himself comfortable and went back to sleep.

Newt dreamt that he was back inside the Glade. There was no one else around and it was just him inside. He couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong and weird. That was until he saw someone standing at the walls of the Maze.

He walked towards him but he didn't know who this person was. The man lifted his head and looked at him. He smiled warmly at him as if he was greeting an old friend. Newt didn't return the smile.

"Let's cut to the chase," the man spoke first, "I'm James Dashner, the author of your story."

Newt just looked at the man as if he's grown two heads.

"I'm definitely dreaming," he mumbled to himself.

"I'm here to tell you of the dream that you just had," James continued as if he didn't hear Newt mumbled. "You see Newt, that dream was your alternate reality. Your alternate future. That was what would've happened if-"

"If (Y/N) wasn't here," Newt cut him off.

"Yes," James nodded. "In the other version of the story, it was Thomas who was the Savior, along with you."

Newt took a step back. "I'm a what? What's a bloody Savior?"

"Someone who's willing to give his life for the happiness of others because in the end, the cost is their own. You, my dear boy, have suffered so much yet you stay strong." James took a breathe. "In my stories, there are two Saviors. I lied to (Y/N) when I said that having two Saviors has never happened before."

Newt's ears perked up at the sound of (Y/N). "(Y/N)? You were able to talk with her?"

"Only to tell her of her future. Because there can never really be two Saviors. Since there are always two in my stories, one dies while the other lives."

Newt felt a prickle of fear in his spine. "So am I going to die?"

"No," James shook his head, "the other Savior will."

Newt didn't want to ask, but he also wanted to at the same time. He wanted to ask just so that he could be proven wrong.  He wished that he was wrong.

"And who will that be?"

"(Y/N)."

James disappeared before Newt could say anything. A scream wanted to leave his lips but all he could do was to break down on the grass.

"Newt! Newt!"

Newt felt himself being shaken awake. He opened his eyes and saw Thomas right beside him.

"What is it Tommy?" He sat up.

"We're here," Thomas said. "We're back in WICKED."

A/N: Thanks for the 2,600+ reads and 162 votes.

Read

Love

Comment

Vote

Share

Follow

❤️ Once_Upon_A_Glade