Chapter 21: An Unexpected Meeting

"What should we do? I already bandaged him up. I'm not sure moving him would be such a great idea." I whispered to Jewels.

"Well we will have to tell them eventually."

"Yeah I know, but what will I say? 'Sorry, we went hunting without your permission and nearly got mauled to death by a wolf with red eyes!'" I questioned sarcastically.

"No of course not...wait did you say he was attacked by a wolf with red eyes?"

"Yeah it was crazy. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. It was a female white wolf with two other pack members."

"A white wolf with red eyes? You must have been seeing things." She replied doubtfully.

"I'm serious Jewels!"

"Well, did you kill it?"

"Yeah of course. How else do you think Aiden is even alive?" I asked.

"Show me the carcass then maybe I'll believe you."

"But what about Aiden?"

"Let him rest, we need to find out why the wolf attacked him." she directed.

We left Aiden in the tent and headed out. I led her to where the attack took place, but when we got there I was surprised to see nothing.

"Well, where is it?" Jewels asked aloud.

"She was right here!" I motioned. The ground was still covered in blood, but the wolf was no where in sight.

"There is no way she's alive. I shot her and she died with eyes wide open."

"Well apparently not!"

"I don't understand."

Isaac stopped the story and looked down at the note again.

"I'm worried about him. What if he's gone because of that day?" Isaac asked me.

"What do you mean? Do you think the attack has something to do with his disappearance?" I questioned uneasily.

"I don't know! Maybe it does, or maybe it doesn't; however, there is only one way to find out!"

"How?"

"By finding him, of course!" He replied sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes at him before answering, "Well how do you presume we do that Sherlock?"

"With your wolves!" Isaac declared.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! We are not going to use my wolves!"

"Why not? Don't you want to find him?"

"Of course I do, but I don't plan on losing anymore lives whether it be human or canine."

"So you're saying that the lives of your wolves are more precious than Aiden?!" Isaac shouted.

"No of course not! I just don't want anyone else to get hurt!"

"They aren't going to get hurt! They are wolves, they are predators not prey, Sennon!" Isaac retorted.

"I know that!"

"Well then why won't you use them to help find Aiden?"

"I....I don't want them to get hurt." I said quietly, "they are all I have left."

Isaac stepped toward me and placed his hand on my shoulder, "I know, but he's my brother. I need your help Sennon. I won't be able to find him without you and your wolves."

He looked at me with a pleading look. He really did need my help, but what if when we found Aiden he had already ended it. I don't think either of us could bear it. Isaac was right, I needed to help save Aiden even if it meant me or my wolves getting hurt. I couldn't afford to have my despair cloud my thoughts of helping Isaac.