Chapter 4: A Nearly-Dead Sky

I watched in horror as Sky was thrown right toward me and fell to the ground. The impact of the truck sent him skidding down the street on his back. Unlike most people who get hit by a car, he didn't go over the top, but backwards and that's because the driver stopped as soon as he hit Sky. It turns out Sky had ran straight into traffic and the driver didn't even see him until the last second. I was surprised that his backpack didn't get run over from being dropped on a busy street, but of course that was the least of my worries.

"Sky!" I yelled. The cars had all stopped, and I was already running over to him. My first thought was that he was dead, because he wasn't moving. I checked his pulse and to my relief, his heart was still beating, but barely. His shirt was ripped to shreds and drenched in blood. He had a giant gash on his chest from slamming into the grill. I figured he also had a couple broken ribs and a punctured lung, due to his slowed heart rate and breathing.

"Call an ambulance!" I yelled. The driver of the truck immediately picked up his phone and dialed 911.

"Hang in there Sky." I whispered.

I placed my hands on his chest trying to slow the blood flow, and continually checked his pulse. He was barely alive. The impact he took to his chest and stomach could easily have killed him, but he was fighting to stay alive. I knew that I couldn't do chest compression's on him, because of his broken ribs and punctured lung, so I knew that there was only one thing to do, mouth to mouth. I checked his pulse after every try. He was still unconscious but he was breathing, so there was still hope. Then the ambulance arrived. They quickly pulled out a gurney and carefully placed Sky on it and put him in the ambulance. I ran over to get in, but they stopped me.

"Are you related to him?" The doctor asked me.

"No, but I'm his friend and I kept him alive! And he doesn't have much time left so let's go!" I yelled.

"Very well, then get in." The doctor said.

They drove extremely fast and as they drove the doctor put an oxygen mask on Sky and tried to keep his wound from bleeding. The cut was deep and long and went from the top right side of his chest down to the bottom left side.

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked.

"I don't know, but we are trying our best to make sure that he will be." the doctor said. Sky's knuckles were still bleeding so I asked the doctor if he had any rags. He said pointing to a cabinet, "Yeah, there are some in the second drawer." I grabbed one and pored warm water on it. Then I placed it on his hand slowly cleaning some of the blood. "Where are the antibiotic ointment, gauze, and Band-Aids?" I asked.

"Third drawer for both gauze and Band-Aids and first for the ointment." he replied. I quickly grabbed them all and sat them on the counter, then I grabbed paper towels and dried his hand. Next, I put the ointment on his knuckles and carefully put a Band-Aid over them. I then wrapped the gauze around it. It was bleeding at almost the same rate as the cut on his chest had been. It was bad enough that when we got to the hospital the gauze was drenched in blood. I was absolutely positive that he had broken a lot of bones in his hand, because right before I headed after him when he punched the wall; I noticed that his knuckles were uneven as if bones were out of place. Also I could tell that he had kept his hand in a fist, as if moving it would cause more pain.

Miraculously he didn't have a head injury or any other serious injuries such as road burn, which surprised the doctor. Apparently when Sky was hit he kept his head up in order to prevent injury, and because he was wearing a jacket and jeans he was able to prevent injury to his back. Yet the impact, along with getting cut by part of the grill caused major damage.

When we got to the hospital they rushed him inside and I followed them close behind, but they said I wasn't allowed to go into the emergency room, so I had to wait for Sky's results.

I hated waiting, and it didn't help when they called Sky's parents. The hospital is on the other side of town, so it took them about five minutes to arrive. Though it was only five minutes it felt like forever. I sat down and became overwhelmed with different emotions. I was nervous to find out how Sky was as well as scared for not knowing the outcome, but the feeling I felt most was rage. The rage I felt was directed towards Sky's parents. It's because of them saying that they were getting a divorce that Sky was upset and smashed his hand into a brick wall. They are the reason he got hit by a truck, and the reason why he was in the emergency room slowly dying.

I couldn't help but wonder whether Sky would be okay or whether his wounds would prove to be fatal. If Sky were to die I would never be able to forgive myself, nor would I forgive his mom and dad. When they arrived I sort of lost it and just started yelling at them. I showed them my hands, which still had Sky's blood on it and yelled, "You did this! He's in there because of you two!"

"No, not my baby!" Sky's mom yelled and fell to the ground.

I stared in disgust at Sky's dad as he turned and sat down emotionless.

"How could you? How could you just sit there, rather than care about your son, or at least ask how he was?" I thought to myself as my thoughts became clouded in rage.

Then the doctor came out with a smile on his face.

"He's going to be okay, but he has to stay at the hospital until his ribs heal and he can move and breathe a little better. We had to stitch up the wound on his chest and prevent his lungs from collapsing. Also we fixed up his hand and re-wrapped it. I'll admit, most people don't survive an injury as serious as the one he had on his chest and the internal damage to his lungs, but miraculously he survived. You have one strong kid Mr. and Mrs. Mason." He said turning to them. "Oh and by the way, Sennon, he asked to see you." He announced now facing me.

"Oh....Okay" I said slightly becoming less paranoid and angry. Forgetting all about Sky's parents, I followed the doctor to the room where Sky was.

"Now listen, you have to be calm, and relaxed. He's having a hard time breathing. You probably won't be getting any response from him, but a few couple or very short words. If your parents say it's alright, you can stay with him. But only if you don't get him worked up." the doctor said.

"My parents are dead, and I can't leave Sky. His parents are the ones who caused him to run. It's because of them he's in here. If they come in they will cause him to go into shock. Please, Sky is the only person I have left; I don't want to lose him too." I said, practically begging him.

He nodded and said, "I can only leave you alone with him today, since his parents are here and by law we have to let them see him."

"Thank you." I said.

The doctor nodded and headed back to the waiting room to tell Sky's parents they will have to wait tell tomorrow. I'll be honest, in that moment I kind of felt bad for them, but oh well. I was here to check on my best friend, not worry about his parents feelings. Nor care of what they thought of me afterwards.