Chapter 6: My Dark History

The wonderful smell of bacon and eggs woke me from my sleep. I hadn't eaten since breakfast the day before and I was starving. I turned my head to where the smell was coming from and watched with disappointment as Sky bit into the delicious bacon. The sound I heard was of the crispy bacon crumbling, and it rang loud in my ears, I couldn't bear watching anymore as the food seemed to taunt me from the distance. Even though I wanted to look away, I couldn't. I imagined of how the crispy bacon and eggs would taste, and my mouth began watering. The feeling ended shortly after he finished the food and my hunger began setting in again. I decided to ignore the pit in my stomach and keep my mind off it through conversation.

"Hey Sky, how are you feeling?"

"Sore." He managed to say.

"I don't doubt that, I am just happy you're not dead." I said smiling.

"Me too."

Just then there was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I yelled in a welcoming tone.

If I would have known who was at the door, I wouldn't have been so pleasant.

You can imagine my disgust when I saw that the people who were at the door were none other than, Sky's parents. "We need to talk" they said in a demanding tone.

"Your right, we do need to talk, about how you should properly argue when around your kid! About how you messed up and nearly got Sky killed! Or even about what horrible parents you two are." I said in my head.

And instead of it coming out like that, I just said, "Okay, about what?"

"About what horrible parent's we are" his mom said sobbing.

Once again I said something completely opposite of what I was thinking, "You are not a horrible parent."

"Thanks Sennon, but it doesn't take a genius to see that we messed up." She replied depressed.

"You got that right!" I thought.

"Don't beat yourself up. And not to be rude or anything, but did you just come here to talk about yourself?" I asked with slight sarcasm.

"No, that is only part of the reason. In all actuality we came to talk to our son."

Her tone shifted from sadness and pity to anger and jealousy. This gave me the notion that she had wanted me to leave. She was probably upset that she had to wait a whole day to see Sky. I guess I can understand her anger. Mainly because I felt the same way when my parents died.

After the cops took the pups and I, they dropped us off at my house in hopes of telling my parent's they found me. The only problem was that when they arrived, no one was home. Luckily we kept a spare key, so we could easily get in. I can still remember the faint smell of coffee and burnt toast. Since my mom and dad had been searching for me day and night, they ate small things, and toast was one of my dad's "specialties". He claimed that when the bread was crispy and slightly burnt, nothing tasted better. As for my mom and I, well, we begged to differ. Mostly because we knew that toast was one of the only things my dad could cook. We had always had a good laugh over my dad's great enthusiasm for making toast even though it didn't have the greatest taste as he said it did. Then when I was eight we bought a fancy coffee maker. That soon became another one of my dad's "specialties" of which he always made. And after two years of the same coffee and toast smell, we finally moved out. Not because of the smell, but because my dad had been transferred to work at a brand new Correctional Facility. He was previously a Sergeant but after working for quite a while he was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred. Because of that we had to find a house in the mountainous town. The house we had found was a gorgeous two story home in the mountains just five miles from the town. The owner of the house was a good friend of my dad's so he gave us a pretty decent deal on it. It had four bedrooms and bathrooms, a large kitchen and two large living rooms with a giant basement. The basement had; a laundry room, one bedroom and bathroom, a living room, and a storage room. The mid floor contained; the large kitchen, the other living room, as well as an office, a bathroom, and a media center. As for the top section; it had three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a loft. Unfortunately, the marvelous house lost its glory in my eyes when my mom and dad died. I managed to sneak by the cops by having my grandma come down every now and then to prove her legal guardianship. I see my grandma at least once every other week, so the cops don't get two worried and put me up for adoption. I love my grandma to pieces yet I know she is busy trying to pay for my house and hers all at once. Luckily though, she does get help from my aunt, whom helps pay for the bills. If it wasn't for them I would be out on the streets or at another unstable family of which I would prefer not to be at. My parents loved me unconditionally, and I knew they would stop at nothing to find me, but I didn't expect them to die because of it. At the time no one knew the whereabouts of my parents. The cops had told them not to worry after they announced that I was living with a pack of wolves for the whole time I was missing. They also told them that two of their men had reported this just before they were mauled to death. Of course, my parents weren't about to sit back and let the police do their thing, especially when it meant my life was in danger. They decided to take matters into their own hands. Because they made that decision, I never got to see them again, or spend any time with them in our new house. Like I said earlier, I can relate to Sky's mom feeling angry and jealous.

"We are so sorry Sky; we never wanted to hurt your feelings." Sky's dad said. He then looked at me with pleading eyes and asked, "Could you explain how all this went down?"

I nodded and began telling them all about what had happened. When I finished, I told them that my parents used to fight a lot and that it was not something any kid should have to deal with. I told them that I hated when my parent's would fight and anytime I tried to stop them they would just yell at me. I didn't tell them that my parents were dead, even though they asked about them.

"How come we never see your parents around?"

"They don't like to leave the house very much so I walk to school." I replied nervously.

"Oh well that's fine I just wanted to get to know them more." Sky's mom said.

"Why, would you want to get to know my parents?" I asked.

She just stared at me dumbfounded and said, "Well I don't know."

I ignored them because I was still mad, and I didn't really know what to say. After the awkward conversation I decided it was time to leave. I turned to Sky saying bye and that I hoped he would get better. Then I stood up and headed for the door when Sky grabbed my arm and said, "Thanks."

"No problem!" I said walking out the door. I left Sky with his parents and headed off for my house.