Chapter 10: The Cause of it All

"His name was Aiden, Aiden Griffin." I drifted.

The first time I met him I nearly died. It was a cool winters day, the snow had began piling up and I had just started making my way home. I had been jogging at the time; listening to music where my mind could stray and I my inhibitions slow, all while becoming completely oblivious to the outside world. Unintentionally, I slipped on some ice rounding a corner and barreled straight into him. I quickly arose and slowly backed up. His surprised face studied me; as if determining whether I proved to be a threat. Then a smile appeared on his chiseled face. "It's okay, don't be afraid. I won't hurt you." He said calmly. I still remember his cunning features. He had light caramel colored skin with silky black hair that rippled in the wind. His bright green eyes gleamed with curiosity and kindness, I knew from that moment that he would be a trusted friend. I didn't know at the time how to respond, so I just stood quietly.

"What are you doing out in this weather?" He asked quietly. I was hesitant to answer.

"You can tell me I won't judge." He assured me.

"Running." I managed.

"Alone?"

"No."

He looked at me with confusion then glanced around in hopes of finding who or what I was running with. Then he replied, "I don't see anyone."

"They get easily distracted. They may be a mile behind me, but they will come if I need them to."

"Oh, okay. Well it's getting late and my parents would freak out if I'm not back in time. So I better get going" He said smiling.

Before I could reply a growl cut me short. The growl grew louder and closer. It seemed to echo off the trees making it hard to locate the source. The growl turned into a snarl then a few barks. No doubt, it was a wolf. The creature ran out from behind the trees and headed straight for Aiden. I noticed just in time to cut in front of them both.

The wolf had a thick black coat with white fur emphasizing it. It's eyes were a golden yellow color, but as it approached me they seemed to shift. I ran in front of them both in hopes of gaining the wolf's attention (I wasn't about to let it kill someone I just met). The wolf pounced on me, knocking me hard on my back. I struggled to keep him from ripping my throat to shreds all the while waiting for my "backup". I got a closer look at his eyes now. They did have a gold color, but from up close I could now see a red tint that seemed to grow brighter with every growl. The wolf was now trying to kill me, he would snap at my face, but my arms held firm. I tried moving off to the side, but he put all of his weight on me rendering me immobile. My next thought was that maybe I'd be able to push the wolf off, but my plan mostly failed. I shoved him with my arms and legs simultaneously knocking him to the ground, but he quickly jumped back up. The wolf had me pinned once again.

I then kicked him in the head, stood up, and to ran in the opposite direction. Unfortunately he quickly shook his head and charged me, this time digging his white fangs into my side. The pain was so immense that my knees buckled and I collapsed to the ground. I let out a bloodcurdling scream. Through the pain I watched the wolf. He licked his blood covered lips and watched me closely with his now completely red eyes. The blood lust he gave off was becoming stronger every second. His cold glare was paralyzing me. My whole body was frozen in fear and I knew that I wouldn't get the chance to run away. I glanced down at my torn shirt and saw it now soaked in blood and still bleeding. I found myself becoming lightheaded rather quickly so I didn't waste any time. My only solution to staying alive was to call for backup, and that's just what I did. I screamed for help as loud as I could. To my relief a howl came from the trees behinds Aiden and I. My reinforcements had arrived!

Two young wolves leaped in front of me. One of the wolves, Luna, was a cream color with gray speckles on her face. The other, Ares, was gray with light cream streaks running down his back. The only way you could tell they were siblings was by their eyes. They both has bright blue eyes with hints of green around the pupil.

Luna, my younger wolf attacked first and leaped toward the black wolf sinking her fangs into his neck. Ares, Luna's older brother, pounced on the wolf  knocking him on his back. Cautiously they both jumped away from the black wolf and bared their fangs. He seemed to get the message and limped away. That was the last thing I remembered before blacking out, and falling into the stranger's arms.