Chapter Forty

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
William Shakespeare

Jack fought to not let her presence get to his skin. This was a great struggle for him whenever she was around. There was always something about her presence that infuriated him, ranging from her inability to accept no as an answer to her constant — unappealing, flirting.

What made things worse was that stupid smirk she constantly had on her lips. It always had him raging in irritation. How could his dad do such a thing? Why in this world would he bring along the one woman he clearly knew he couldn't stand?

Softly, he sighed in an attempt to calm his raging mind and frustration. There was no use in letting her get under his skin like that. Especially not when he had all the reasons in the world to smile.

"Natalia," he kept his voice calm, choosing not to raise it as he knew she fed off his annoyance, "why are you here?"

"Aww." Her perfectly trimmed brows were raised, and she allowed a seductive smile to dance upon her coloured lips. She walked over to him and when she got — uncomfortably, close, tilted her head to study his facial expression. She puffed a chuckle because his face could not hide his irritation. "Not even a kiss, Mister Onel?" She reached for his face.

At once, he caught her hand with a frown deforming his face. "Like always..." He pushed her hand away, creating a comfortable distance between them both. "I don't have time for this." He stared at her with eyes that burnt with anger. "You know where the door is, so get yourself out of here."

Natalia seemed impressed as if she found pleasure in all that. "And if I don't, Mister Onel?" she puffed a chuckle as if to remind him of the position she held in his life. "What would you do? You and I both know there's nothing you can do." She placed great emphasis on the word nothing.

Jack said nothing at first, fearing that he might give in to his frustration. His eyes were twitching with anger, but even at that — to his own surprise, he did not raise his voice. When he did speak, his tone failed to express the irritation that was plastered across his face.

He then found himself laughing a little and, for some odd reason found this scene — that they both were placed in, rather funny. She always did this; she tried too hard. He knew what she wanted — like always, his attention. It was angering how this woman had overstepped her boundaries, but due to the respect he held for both his parents and hers, he had learned to endure it all. It was not a respect for her — that he was sure of; he had long lost it after their many encounters. She was not a woman worth his respect.

He allowed a smile of amusement to shape his lips. That alone was enough to cause a look of confusion to engulf her face. Her brows raised.

"You wanted my attention?" He slid his hands into his pockets, his signature expression, especially reserved for her, taking its rightful place upon his face. "You got it, so—"

She cut him off with a laugh of mockery, "Don't think so highly of yourself, Jack. You know I got your attention any day." Her smile portrayed the confidence that circulated inside of her. "So," she continued in an alluring manner, "how about you take me out for dinner after all this office nonsense?"

Before he could open his mouth to utter a word, she added, "I'm sure your wife, what's her name again?" She paused as if to recall the name, then continued, "Yes, Perli. I'm sure she wouldn't mind sharing you with me."

His eyes narrowed as if to serve as a threat to the overconfident woman. "Don't take my patience for weakness, Natalia," his warning came in a dangerously calm voice. "Now." He stared down at her. "I was busy before you came in."