Chapter Thirty-four

"To love is divine."

The second day came sweeping oddly and quickly through the waves of their adventures. It left a crash of excitement within them and so did the next two days that had followed.

"Oh, I had so much fun today!" Liz exclaimed joyfully.

It was a routine remark she had developed while resting her head upon Luke's shoulder. She yawned; her eyelids forcefully hung open by her refusal to fall asleep. It made her look like a child.

"I feel like I have just hiked a mountain."

Perli turned on her seat to smile lively at her, erasing the dump and lifeless look she had been holding on her face for a long time. Liz's statement was rather absurd, as they had indeed hiked a glorious mountain earlier that day. She could still feel her feet hurting at the long journey they had to make, a point where nature boldly and proudly presented itself as the master of all beauty. In that place where rocks, perfectly crafted and fitted into the ground below, gave green life a habitat to call home. She thought of all she had seen and allowed herself to relive the beauty of the images she had captured in her mind.

She stared out the window. The car moved moderately. Its wheels rotating gracefully on the tarred road could have made any of them fall asleep. The ride was mostly silent, with Liz occasionally speaking now and then. At each silent moment, each of them was drowned in exhaustion and too tired to speak. The silence felt comfortable and had managed to put a permanent smile on Jack's face.

Perli cherished his smiles. She had thought he would have been uncomfortable being so far away from his office and all his work. At first, he appeared to be, but all it took were a few milkshakes and Liz and Luke's bubbly personalities to get him to express a chill, happier, and more playful side of his usually cold nature.

Playful. Her entire being always grew warm at the thought of that. He was being very playful.

She was not used to this. His playfulness was attractive, and somehow, very strange to herself, she liked it. Holding on to her chest, she tried to muffle the sound of — what she thought was an audible beating of her heart. Why did he have to make her heart beat like this? Things were much easier whenever they fought because it reminded her why she hated him and Uncle Jabo. However, whenever he acted like this: sweet, funny, and caring, it created an appreciation for him.

Maybe she had even begun to love him.

"Jesus is so beautiful, isn't He?" Liz sang out.

Perli turned and studied her.

"He indeed is," Liz's voice danced in an exhausted and low murmur, while she shifted her head to make herself comfortable on her boyfriend's shoulder.

Luke cuddled her close to him. His face prickled with a gentle smile, and he allowed her to rest her head on his chest.

"Why do you say so?" Jack aired the question, looking rather interested in Liz's choice of words.

"Have you seen all the places we have been to? Especially today! Such beauty! Such a wonder! It takes my breath away," she exhaled in awe, her languorous expression telling the remembrance of all that they had seen. "And to think He made all of that... Wow! He is indeed beautiful."

They all chuckled at her, so they thought exaggerated expressions of God's beauty. Liz was the kind who always saw beauty in almost everything.

"Some were created by humans though," Perli pointed out, a teasing smile playing on the corner of her lips.