Chapter 4: Confusion

"Welcome to the state of New Jersey." the state sign said as we passed through the imaginary state borderline. Most of the trip had been completed and we found ourselves playing I spy and 21 questions to pass the time. But mostly to relieve the edge of our previous conversation.

If one thing was for sure, he was good at distracting me and in more than one way. He was good with his words, choosing them ever so carefully but yet effortlessly. I was never eloquent with my words and always had trouble expressing my feelings; probably why I'm having trouble expressing my feelings for him now.

"Ok, what's your favorite kind of music?" He asked.

"Ooo, that's a tough one." I said racking my brain.

He laughed at me as I tried to think. "What about, what's the first song that comes to mind? Off the top of your head!" He said rushing me for an answer.

"Uh, "Can We Talk" by Tevin Campbell!" I yelled.

"Really?!" He laughed.

"What? You said the first song that came to mind!" I protested in defence.

He chuckled at me as he adjusted himself behind the wheel. "Nothing. I just didn't expect that to be on your mind. But it is a good song."

"It is a good song." I jokingly sulked back at him.

I could feel my phone vibrate. It was a text from my brother and it read, "Hey sis, Aaliyah and I are at the hospital. What time will you be here?" I looked up from my phone toward Julius, "Is it ok if we go to the hospital first?"

"Of course, that's the reason we're here isn't it?" he said.

We heard shuffling in the back and remembered Lex was still in the back seat. She leaned forward between our two seats, "Can we stop and get something to eat? I'm starved." she said.

"Girl, you've been sleep the whole time, how are you hungry?" I joked.

"Look! There's a restaurant exit; McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts ...Oooo Burger King!" she yelled between us.

"Lex, we're almost there. I'm pretty sure my mom's made something for us to eat."

"I love me some of Mrs.King's food!" she said giddily.

"King? Veronica King? Has a nice ring to it." Julius said melodically.

"Yes?" I said questionably.

"I didn't know your last name. Maybe I should have asked that as one of my questions." He said. It was funny, he knew more about me than I knew about him. All I knew was he's a pre-med student, supposed rich dude, and from New Jersey.

"Well since you know my last name, what's yours?" I asked, secretly demanding to know more about him. I could see he wasn't eager to answer me and had an annoyed look on his face.

"Well, you've asked question number 21 already, so I believe that is the end of our game." he said trying to focus on the road.

He's answered every silly question of mine except this one, a bit unusual. But I left it at that, for some reason he didn't want to answer and I wasn't going to push him. But I did find it completely strange.

_______________________________________________________________________________

We soon made our way to the hospital and I could feel a sense of sickness overwhelm me. While Julius parked the car, I noticed dark clouds rolling in. Without a second to think a huge rain drop hit the front window. I hated the rain and I really hated visiting hospitals because they made me feel uneasy.