Chapter 1: My Savior

BUZZ! BUZZ!

I pick up my phone to see a message notification from Neil on Tinder.

"So, can I meet you at 8pm then? I'd really like to take you out, show you a good time. I want to show you what a beautiful black queen you are." the Tinder message read.

I look up at my best friend/roommate Alexis with an unsettled look.

"He asked you out, didn't he?" she asked.

"Yeah, but I don't know, should I accept?"

"Well, as your best friend, I'm not trying to throw no shade but why can't you just give one guy a chance? I mean, any guy!" she said annoyed.

"Not just any guy Lex."

"Girl, I've never seen you settle with one guy for more than a couple of dates! That's like what, a month, maybe 2 months worth of a relationship." she snickered.

"Well, what do you want me to do, if it doesn't work out I can't and won't force it!" I said annoyed.

"Give me the phone! I'll write him since you're being such a punk!" She grabbed my phone and I could tell she was reading the response, soaking it all up. "Girl! You didn't read the entire message detail by detail. He didn't just ask you out, this boy, excuse me, this man called you a black queen. You're crazy if you don't give him a chance!"

"Alright, alright! Tell him ok. Are you happy now?" I said as I rolled my eyes jokingly.

"Yes, yes I am." she said with a cheesey smile. "I sent it! And promise me you'll really try! For real Roni!"

"I'm going on the date right? I'll put effort in." I smiled.

BUZZ! BUZZ!

"He wrote back!" she squealed.

"Then it's a date. See you at 8pm." He responded.

________________________________________________________________________________

It's 6:48pm. I hopped out of the shower and started my makeup. God knows I need at least 30 minutes to finish without feeling rushed.

"What are you wearing? It better not be this basic ass black shirt with jeans." Alexis protested.

"I guess I'm not. What would you suggest fairy Godmother?" I chuckled as I filled in my eyebrows.

"Wear that cute off the shoulder crop top you have with a high waisted pencil skirt and heels!"

"Girl, its the dead of winter. Who do I look like being cold, trying to be cute?"

"It's fall, but you right! Well, just try harder than that shirt you picked out." she laughed.

I picked out a mustered over-sized sweater that had a cut out back and deep v neck. Mustered wasn't my favorite color but it flattered my brown skin nicely. "Alright, I'm nearly done and I'll be out the door." I added my favorite deep brown lipstick and golden highlight as a final touch.

"Don't come home too late, I want to see him!" she said giddily.

"I will!" I teased as I gathered my things to go out the door.

Ok, no need to be nervous. You've done this plenty of times. He's just a guy that seems to genuinely like you. Just try! I thought to myself.

________________________________________________________________________________

It's 8 on the dot. I'm sitting out in the restaurants parking lot. I don't want to seem too punctual, so I decided to sit in the car for 10 minutes and look at some pictures of my date, I needed a "refresher". As I'm looking at pictures of Neil I'm startled by a knock at my jeeps window. And lo and behold it's Neil! I lock my phone hoping he didn't see me stocking him and roll my window down.