PART TWENTY-SEVEN

Start from the beginning

"Yes."

I couldn't wrap my head around it. "So, does that mean you haven't—I mean, have you ever . . ."

He mumbled with the cigarette lodged between his lips, "Have I ever what?"

"Had sex with a human?"

"A human? No. Never." His face scrunched up like he was disgusted by the idea of it. "Humans are for food, not pleasure. I see the comparison no different from a human having sexual relations with a hamburger. It's just ridiculous."

"Then why does Roxanne—er," I stammered for a moment, "I mean, vampires . . . do it?"

"You already asked two questions," he replied abruptly, and I wondered whether I had somehow managed to offend him. When I checked his expression, however, it appeared thoughtful. "Well, it was actually four questions, if you want to get technical, but I counted the majority as sub-questions."

My eyes narrowed onto his. "Then don't I get one more main question?"

"No, because the sub-questions added up," he said.

I fell back onto the bed, mumbling, "I feel ripped off."

He fell silent for a moment. "It's still your turn."

I lay on his bed and stared up at the roof. It wasn't until now that I realised he had a mirror up there—I mean, of course he did. I was suddenly very aware about the fact that he had sex with those two girls up here only a few hours ago, in this very bed. It bothered me more than it should have. Not wanting to be on these sheets anymore, I rolled off the bed and slid onto the hardwood floor.

Darien gave me a strange look; his eyebrows came together as he joined me on the floor.

Unlike me, he was more graceful about his movement and leant against the metal bed frame as he sat.

Meanwhile, I sprawled out, practically on my back as I lay in a not-so-lady-like manner. Yet again, I was very aware of his proximity as his leg brushed against mine, only this time, I didn't move away.

"I havff my ques...tion," I said, words slurring.

"You're not supposed to have a question," he smirked. "You're meant to have a statement which is apparently very difficult for you right now."

My mouth fell open and I propped myself up onto my elbows. Now I was able to glare at him more efficiently. "I am not drunk," I said. "And I meant statement, I just got the two confused, is all."

"Right." The smirk grew. "Proceed."

I bit my lip as I stared at him seductively. "If you kissed me right now, I would kiss you back, despite that kind of behaviour being strictly forbidden between us."

His gaze searched mine for a moment, almost like he was trying to read my mind. "Drink."

A huge grin filled my cheeks. "No, you drink."

"Helena, I think you're misunderstanding the concept of the game. When you're telling the truth, and I guess right, you drink."

"I understand the game perfectly fine. I might be intoxicated, but I'm not a moron." I figured that vanity would be his weakness when I noticed the mirror on the roof. It was the same mirror that reflected back at us now and so many women before me. It made me realise that I wouldn't kiss him back, despite any attraction I felt because I was more than just another number reflected in aluminium glass. "You need to drink."

He seemed surprised. "What? No." His expression scrunched, as though this was incredibly hard to comprehend—physically impossible, even. "That's not fair! You can't lie about telling the truth! That's not how the game works."