82. STEVE: No, Sir (2)

Start from the beginning

"If that was the case I would've gotten rid of Banner a long time ago." He chuckles and you follow suit. "Seriously though; we need to figure out what's going on with Cap."

"There's nothing to be "figured out". It is what it is, Tony. I ruined our friendly relationship because you had some stupid hunch with Barnes and Nat and that's just how it's going to be now."

"Don't take that pessimistic tone with me, Y/N." You want to roll your eyes at your childish boss but he goes on; unaware of your annoyance, or simply not bothered. "Give me a few hours to figure it out. I'll get back to you." Then, before you can protest, the line goes dead.

"Dumbass," you breathe into the quiet phone. Then you're shoving your Stark smartphone back into your purse and hitching a ride to your place: hoping this time, for real, you don't run into anyone you know: especially the captain.

God—how naiive you had been! Thinking that America's sweetheart could ever be sweet on you. Sometimes you swear that you're that same fangirl that daydreamed about Captain America swooping down from the rafters of your high school gym—picking you up and carrying you away. Now, older and questionably more mature, those thoughts of running away with the man in slate blue keep you awake at night.

Now, instead of fantasies, embarrassment plagues your mind while you toss and turn between the sheets. You've thought to maybe lie down for a quick nap before having to fix dinner, but sleep evades you. Probably for the best though, as Tony starts calling your cell. You ignore it before hearing it start up again.

"What?"

"What's with you and not saying hello?" you hear Tony grunt. "You should sound happier to hear from me. I figured out what we need to do."

"What we need to do? I thought you were going to find out why Steve turned me down? Not a plan of action, idiot," you sigh tiredly. Wiping your hair away from your face you pull yourself out of bed.

"I couldn't just go up to him and ask him. He'd never tell me the honest truth. So that brings me to our plan of action, as you put it."

"Tony, I'm too busy for any of your charades—"

"Busy sulking? Don't bullshit me, kid, I know your schedule. You work for me, remember? You have a three day weekend."

"Doesn't mean I wanna gallivant around with you," you reply in a huff.

"Hear me out," Tony tries to reason, "I came up with a genius way to make Rogers admit his feelings for you."

You hesitate in asking for more information. A Tony Stark plan always means one of two things: accidental wide-spread chaos, or a rare but welcomed resolution. It's all or nothing with this guy.

"Fine," you sigh exasperatedly. "Give it to me, Stark."

"I'm going to take you out on a date," is Tony's steadfast reply.

"What the fu..."

"Listen, listen, listen," Tony pressures. "You read those transcripts from yesterday, but you should've seen how flustered old Cap got when I talked about taking you out myself. His face was as red as that damn shield and his hands made up to punch me. Taking you out on a date, where Cap knows it's going down, is a sure as hell way to get him to step up and grow a pair."

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard."

"Oh, I agree," Tony chuckles. "Because you're totally not my type."

Your eyebrows gnarl. "I'll try not to take offense to that," you comment.

"Don't get those panties of yours twisted, darlin'. Just find something sexy to wear when I take you out for dinner tonight. Seven o'clock—I'll meet you in the lobby. I'll start working on a way to get the bottle Cap down there in order to see us leave. Don't be late, doll face."