Chapter 15: Remember

Connor and I took cover behind the trees listening into the conversation, the land inclined as we went further.  There were two men guarding the back of the wagon and two sat in front.  

"Was a good haul today.  Saw a bit of gunpowder in those crates.  We'll get extra for that."  

"Aye.  Church will be pleased, and we'll be rich." 

"I almost feel bad for the Yanks - shiverin' and starvin' out there.  It's a hard way to go."

"All they need is to raise the white flag."

"They should have done that along time ago.  All this fighting?  Serves no purpose.  The Crown's sure to win in the end.  To waste all these lives chasing a fool notion.  Breaks my heart, it does."

       The cart stopped in front of the camp, which looked more like it used to be a camp.  The log houses were run down and covered with snow, although smoke rose into the air from the various camp fires spread out along it.  

          "Alright.  Looks to be in order.  Go and see the foreman.  There's another run planned for tonight."  

        "I'll bring up the wagon, and speak to you later." 

        I ran up behind one of the guards and stabbed him and pulled him behind the tree so we could move forward.  We followed the two main guards hiding in the bushes and behind buildings.  

        "Thank you kindly."

        "Won't be thanking me when you here what he's got planned."

        Connor took out the next guard who had his back to us warming his hands by a fire.  We kept following the two men and they approached another.  

        "About time you showed up!  Listen here, boss wants us to try something new tonight.  A raid.  No more convoys.  We're to steal from the Yank camp itself."

        "Valley Forge?"

        "That's right."

        "You sure about this?"

        "It's not my job to be sure or not sure.  I just do as Church asks.  If your're so concerned, take it up with him."

        "Is he here?"

        "Course not.  Hiding in New York last I heard, trying to keep a low profile - what on account of him not wanting to go back to jail and all."

        They stopped at one of the run down looking shacks, one looking out over the frozen pond.  Connor and I were laying on our stomachs in the bushes, peering out.  I saw two men dragging Haytham forward, I nudged Connor and we both looked towards them.  

        "Look what we found."

        "He was creepin' round the camp all suspicious-like."

        "Must be a yank spy."  They pushed him down on his knees

        "No."  one of the men leaned down and looked him in the eye.  "He's something else.  Something special.  Isn't that right, Haytham.  Church told me All about you."

        "Then you should know better then this."

        He delivered a hard punch to Haytham's nose making his head snap sideways.  "You're not really in the position to be making threats are ya?"

        I could see Haytham slightly move his eyes to where we were hidden. 

        "Not yet."