Chapter 14: "Life is not a fairy tale."

"It's quite impressive what you two have accomplished." We walked down a dark hallway only a few men stood in it.  

"Is that ... a compliment." 

I let out a giggle then Achilles then continued.  "Now don't misconstrue.  I'm sure the whole endevor will end tragicly, but to have come this far...  Well, it's more I ever expected." 

"The people yearned for freedom, but feared to grab hold of it.  That fear is gone now."  

"Thanks to you." 

"No. This they did on their own." 

"You diminish your role.  But you've always been of humble heart." 

"I do what is right.  No more.  No less." 

"You cannot tell him."

"I have to.  Otherwise, he will never be safe."

"He is safer not knowing!  By planting the seeds of doubt, you threaten to topple his entire endeavor.  If Washington is paralyzed, Charles lee will strike.  You'll cause the very thing you aim to prevent.  Hunt the Templars, as is your duty... But do not drag these men into it."

Connor turned to me and I shrugged, we went through the door and he leaned up against a wall and I sat in a chair close to him.   

"We must now all hang together."

"Yes, we must indeed all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."  Ben Franklin stepped up and took the quill signing the parchment.  I never got used to this reliving history thing.  

Sam turned to us and smiled. "You are once more, our savior." 

Connor got off the wall and stood tall.  "We must speak with the commander. "

"He's gone to try and hold New York.  The British intend to take it.  I fear we'll need to recall our men from Quebec as well...  It's one thing to declare our Independence. Now, my friend, we must make it so." 

***

Winter is here, the snow covers the ground like a blanket leaving no patches of green.  The air is cold and sharp this makes our tasks harder, Connor seems to reject cold like he dosen't feel it unfortunately I do.  The Templars demand our full attention now, Connor insists he needs to tell Washington about the threats against him he argues with Achilles almost everyday.  I'm stuck in the middle, or I'm yelling at the both of them to shut up.  I now know I don't have to shadow everything Connor does, but I know in ways they are both right.  I've been so wrapped up in work I don't get to think about those things.  Connor and I haven't spoken about the night at the inn, mainly because we've been chasing down any sort of lead.  I think about it when I can afford to think off topic, When we have no leads I try to help out some of the settlers on the homestead.  We are many now, we have farmers, a woodworker, lumberers, a huntress, a miner, a tailor and now a doctor.  When the new homes were under construction I helped Connor did occasionally, but I did most of the time.  

Connor marched out the front door a sleeping pad underneath his arm Achilles hobbled after him.  I knew what was coming I had a sense for it, Connor had seemed a bit agitated this morning I followed right behind Achilles.  

"Don't do this, Connor!" Achilles yelled after him 

"Then what would you purpose we do?  Sit and watch while the Templars take control?  We are sworn to stop them.  Or have you forgotten?"

I rubbed my eyes wondering if this was one I wanted to intervene in.  

"Assassins are meant to be quiet.  Precise.  We do not go announcing conspiracies from the rooftops to all who pass by. "