[2]

*Special Jae right there.*

Jaelyn

Since Opal pointed out who Hoseok was, I've been seeing him around more often.

I had at least four to five classes with him, as well as lunch and free period. He also lives in the neighborhood next to mine, because I overheard him talking about it to his friends when he was walking home.

I always saw him in the hallways, that hadn't changed. Why didn't I notice him?

"Opal," I repeat her name for the third time, trying to grab her attention. It was Saturday afternoon, meaning she was drawing on her driveway. "Opal!"

"I'm in the zone," she responded, grabbing two pieces of chalk and scribbling in one area. She shook her head before dropping the small things to the ground.

Standing up, she dusted her hands together, facing me. "Now I can assist you."

"Remember when you pointed out Hoseok?", I ask while she thinks back, nodding after a second.

"Two days ago," she elaborated, grabbing her water bottle from the chair I was standing next to. She opened it, motioning for me to keep talking.

"He's everywhere now," I spoke, hoping she wouldn't choke on her water. "Almost every class, lunch, free period, he lives in your neighborhood!"

"I know, you're the only one that didn't see him," she casually responded, throwing the empty bottle at my head.

"Hey, Opal!", she looked up and behind me, waving at the person who called her. I turned around, seeing Yoongi, the guy who lived across the street from her.

He walked over to us, giving me an acknowledgment nod, before turning his attention to Opal. "Working?"

"Like I always do," she smiled, nodding at his memory. Not many people really enjoyed the idea of Opal wasting her days on drawing something that would wash away. However, when someone did, she cherished their feedback.

I stood awkwardly as they conversed, seeing as I wasn't buddy-buddy with Yoongi. I barely knew him, only knew small facts about him. His name, where he lived, and that he went to our school.

Opal snuck a glance at me, while I avoided eye contact. Her and Yoongi got along really well. Like, brother and sister. I didn't want to be here to ruin it.

"I'm gonna head home, Opal. I'll text you later?", I start to back away slowly before she reaches out for my hand.

"No, stay," she said, moving her head in the direction of the garage. "Go chill out for now."

I nodded, heading towards the opened area. It had a fan that spun like crazy, which kept it cool. There was also a TV against the wall that I could watch something on.

I overheard a part of their conversation, not meaning to.

"I'll only go if I can invite Jae," Opal offered to him, about who knows what.

"Are you sure? She seems a little awkward around me," Yoongi glances at me, while I pretend to notice him. I throw him a friendly wave and smile, before averting my attention to the TV remote I was holding.

I'm only awkward around you because I feel like you don't like me.

"She barely knows you, she's fine after you get to know her," Opal defending me was making my heart feel fuzzy.

She really cared.

"Okay, but I'm not gonna be blamed if it turns out badly," he raised his hands in surrender, backing away to his house.

She collected her chalk, the bottle, and the chair before coming into the garage. She threw herself down next to me, slumping further down the seat.

"What's wrong?", I ask, knowing that if I didn't she would make it clear she wants to tell me something.

"Yoongi invited me to go to the pool with him and his friends," she starts, sitting up next to me. "I told him I wasn't going unless you came."

"Oh."

I didn't know what to say, I didn't think she would tell me straight away.

"Do you want to? He wants to go now, so if you just want to stay back and chill here, I'll tell him I can't make it," she immediately says, taking my facial expression the wrong way.

"No, no. I guess I'll go, I'll text my dad and he can bring me my stuff," I said, pulling out my phone. I sent him a quick text, telling him exactly what to grab.

He sent pictures of everything he took out, while I told him if it was right or wrong. Once that was over with, I waited minutes until he would arrive.

"Go get changed while I wait for my stuff," I look up to tell Opal. She pushed on my knee to heave herself up, before pushing my head away.

"Okay, I won't be long," she tells me, her inner mother coming out.

My dad pulls up seconds after she goes inside, while he holds his arm out the rolled down the window, holding my bag of goodies. I jog over to him, while he continues to hold his hand out.

I slap a high five to it, smirking while he yanks it back in. "Thanks, dad."

"You owe me," he pointed a finger at me, giving me a look.

"I always do," I responded, waving him off as he drove away. I heard loud laughter, looking up across the straight. Seeing seven boys walking out of Yoongi's house, some of them in tight tank tops, some in t-shirts. I quickly turned around, quietly scolding myself for staring only a second longer than I should have.

I barged into Opal's bathroom, making her jump wildly. I hold up my bag, before continuing past her. I strip out of my clothes as she pulls her hair up.

I changed into the bathing suit I picked out, before tossing my clothes into the bag. Opal turned to look at me, nodding in approval.

"Not bad," she hums, pulling her over to the mirror. She starts to tug at my hair, pulling it into the same kind of bun on her head. "Now you're done. Did you see the boys?"

"Yep, bathing suits and all," I nodded, while she clapped giddily.

"Aren't they just delicious looking?", the wild look in her eyes made me want to back away from her. She snorted, laughing loudly after. "I'm kidding!"

"Right," I sarcastically nod, grabbing my phone and pulling her out of the bathroom. "Let's get this thing started."

"Be yourself," she reminded me, standing in front of the doorway. We slipped on jean shorts and a long shirt over our bathing suits, before pausing. "I like you better than the different you."

"I know," I whisper, nodding my head at her statement. No awkwardness, just me.