Prologue

Sarin

He was my first, and during one amazing year, I was certain he'd be my last. But fairytales weren't real, and even if they were, they sure didn't happen to me.

I still remembered his eyes when I closed mine late at night. I could still picture the bright smile that only formed on his face when I walked into a room. The same smile that secretly told the world we knew a secret they didn't—we had a forbidden love that was monumental.

Then, the illustrious fairytale world we'd created shattered into a million pieces when he opened his mouth on that humid July day, a little over four years ago.

"Rosebud, someday we're gonna have it all, and you and me are gonna make a life. A real no-holds-barred shit on the haters kinda life." He leaned over me and ran his strong lips across my jawline. His firm hand swept the short dark strands off my forehead.

"I love you, Levi. Always have and damn sure always will," I professed as he inched closer to my lips. The only sounds around us as we laid in the tall grass were the birds in the nearby tree singing.

"Phantom, baby."

I hesitated, just as my fingertips were ready to sweep over the jagged scar on his lower right jaw—the scar he'd gotten crashing his first Harley into a tree on a wet night, shortly after he'd turned fifteen. The scar that I'd trailed my lips over on his glorious eighteen-year-old face at least a hundred times. The one that sixteen-year-old me thought made him appear dashing and dangerous.

"What did you say?" I asked, but the answer weighed on my heart before he ever responded.

"My road name's now Phantom. Got my prospect patch this mornin'. I'm gonna do it the right way, though, not sweep in like a legacy and take what's mine."

My tongue caught in the back of my mouth. The love of my life was officially a prospect of his father' motorcycle chapter. The same chapter that was the bitter rival of my dad's chapter.

The love of my life was officially a Devil's Henchman.

Levi leaned down to press his lips to mine, but I knew it was over the minute they touched. I was a Nightmare Assassin. I'd never wear the member patch, but I was under the club's grip as much as any of the girls who wore property patches and ink. I could never walk away because I was Sarin Heyman, the only child of the ruthless Beast Heyman, current President of the vicious outlaw riders who wore the skulls with protruding daggers on their cuts. I was the granddaughter of Gas Mask Heyman, the original founder of one of the top two motorcycle clubs in the Carolinas.

I knew it was over because Assassins and Devils didn't mix.

I didn't see Phantom again for four years...until the night he swept back into my life like the Devil he was.