Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

Anna blinked back at me, the same look of mild surprise on her face. We stared at each other for a moment, before Anna looked away first. She cleared her throat, almost awkwardly.

"Okay, class president, what can I get for you?" She asked.

I'd ended up at a small cafe near the school, after driving around aimlessly for about twenty minutes. My stomach had ached, and I knew it was best to not attempt to go through the day without at least a small bite. So here I was, at this small coffee shop I'd never been to before. And Geum Shin Anna, of all people, was working the cash register.

"Uh, I suppose I'll have a muffin," I said, asking for the first thing my eyes landed on.

"What about a drink?" She asked.

"What do you usually get?" I asked hesitantly.

Truthfully, I hardly ever went out for coffee. Or for any kind of drinks really.

"Americano," Anna replied, watching me with those careful eyes.

"I'll have that," I said.

Anna shook her head and plugged in my order. After I payed, I couldn't help but stand there and watch her pathetically, a bit unsure of what to do next. Anna began to wipe the counter before noticing me still waiting there on the other side.

"Do you need something else, Namjoon?"

"Well, where exactly should I sit?" I murmured.

Anna gave me a dubious look before motioning aimlessly around the shop.

"Anywhere, Namjoon. It's self seating," she said, almost amusedly.

I gave her a sheepish look and muttered a quick thank you.

"Sometimes I wonder just how intelligent you really are," she called lightly as I hurried to an empty table.

I shook my head and slid into the seat, looking around the cafe with mild interest. Another familiar face caught my eyes. I blinked in surprise. Park Jimin was practically storming over to me with a scowl.

"Kim Namjoon, what a surprise. You have some explaining to do," he said as soon as he reached my table.

"Uh, excuse me?" I replied, watching him carefully.

"Uh, what do you mean 'excuse me'? Do you forget abandoning me and everyone else at Ignis?!" He snapped, crossing his arms.

I watched as Anna came up behind him, looking slightly ticked off.

"Don't you have anything to say, ditcher?!" He exclaimed. "Or are you just gonna stare off into space?"

"Jimin, behind--" I began.

But before he could comprehend the beginning of my response, Anna had whacked him over the head.

"Ah!" He yelped, grabbing the back of his head.

"Yah, you little punk, shouldn't you be mopping?" She asked him, a warning tone in her voice.

"A-Anna, Noon-im, oh, hello! I didn't even know you'd arrived to work yet," Jimin said nervously.

"We walked in together, you runt, now get back to work before I tell Nana."

"Aish, fine! But I can't believe you're defending him, the traitor!" Jimin said, ducking his head quickly.

I looked down at the table, feeling ashamed. It was true that I'd yet to apologize to anyone about that night. But I didn't want to even think about it. And having to go and say sorry to everyone who'd been there wouldn't help me forget it.

"Get over yourself, Jimin. It's not like you died," Anna said coldly. "Namjoon had his reasons. Right, Namjoon?"

I blinked and looked up at her, surprised she was defending me. I hadn't even given her an explanation yet.

"Y-yeah. I was planning on apologizing, but I don't even have your numbers," I replied quickly.

"Psh," Jimin replied. "Whatever. You...you just better not do it again. If Anna didn't have a crush on you, you'd be out of this store before you even stepped inside!"

With that, he ducked his head again and scurried away.

"Y-yah!" Anna exclaimed, storming after him, angrier than I'd ever seen her before.

And I was left, sitting at that table, my face slowly turning a bright red. Because I wondered whether or not I'd really just been trying to egg on Seokjin when I'd said no one could keep from Geum Shin Anna.