"I understand how that feels," Lark said, fists trembling at her sides. "I don't like this any more than you do. But..." She turned to Hawking, tears threatening in her eyes. "Like Able said, you want to march on Fairbanks. Please, reconsider. We could spare so many lives!"

Hawking stared back beneath his furrowed brow. His lips quivered every other moment, but he had no response yet.

"I'm in," Chessie announced plainly. No one replied, but she looked about at the stares she was collecting and got the gist. "Well, of course, I have to go. General Pillar thought bringing Lark back was my aim all along. It would hurt our chances if he doesn't see me again. And I'd like to bring Flower, too. She's quite attuned to the needs of the townships and can help with negotiations."

Hawking frowned deeply. "...you want to take my mother to Larbantry? To the capital of Larbantry?"

"Yes, and I expect she'll agree."

"Yeah, I do too," he groused.

Chessie ignored this and tapped her lip thoughtfully. "Hm, and for a lawyer...Contemplative Darkshoal from Pearlshore. He's been versing himself in Larbant law, trying to help those who've gotten into trouble with it. He'll be a big help."

Hawking ran a hand over his face and beard. "You really sense this is the way?"

"Yes." She nodded once, then met Able's eyes. "Lionstone is still the how, and Able still holds the key."

Able could have strangled her. And given how Dawnwatch rolled his eyes and Windburrow rubbed hers, maybe he wasn't the only one. Yet they also maintained a deferential silence. Chessie didn't even bother to look at their faces. Damn her, but she'd just made the decision for all of them, hadn't she?

Hawking heaved a sigh. "Sure, I'll just go back in there and tell them..." He flung his hands up at a loss.

"The truth?" Able found himself saying. "Let your people vote on it? ...or would that endanger Lark?"

Chessie shook her head. "Better to bring them around to it."

Hawking only nodded. So things weren't quite so democratic around here as they seemed. Which could be for the best.

Still, Able opened his mouth. "Look, I..." Was it smart to be the skeptical Larbant? He pressed on, "The plan is possible, but there's a long line of hurdles between here and there. Just the—" Lark was watching him. "...the weather, for starters."

"Oh, don't stop yourself from saying the ship could get caught in a storm and sink on my account!" Lark said with a bright grin. Really, there was no use trying to hide things from her.

Able set a gentle hand on her arm with a sigh before looking to Hawking again. "Point is, you should have a contingency plan. Maybe several."

"To do what?" Windburrow said flatly. "We're without the Sons, and now we won't have Chestnut? And not even the Blackbird, to boot? Yes, I have really high hopes for any raid."

Dawnwatch grunted, possibly in agreement.

"But you have Light," Lark said.

Hawking barked a dry laugh.

"They'll listen to you," Lark insisted. "You still have agents coming in from the West. Bring the towns together. Send our people home for the season. Sneak into the ports and—and reach out to the Icewalkers up north if you must. Whatever it takes." Lark crossed the room to Hawking and took his hand. "I know you can bring them together and get them through the winter. I...I need you to. I need you to lead them, because—because when I come back, I—I can't make this work without you. I know I'll never be a leader of the free people of Borealund. It has to be you."

Hawking set his other hand over Lark's and smiled, bemused and sad. "I know you want me to believe you've thought this through. But Lark? They will despise you. I can't stop that."

"I know," Lark cut in then stared at the floor.

"Do you?" Hawking straightened from the table's side and touched Lark's chin until she met his eyes. "As much as they resented Adeptson, many people in this compound, maybe even in this room, will see you as worse. A traitor."

"Maybe they're right." Lark blinked back the gleaming in her eyes. "Maybe I never had it in me to be one of you. Because I can't, Light. I can't stand aside and let you all march to your deaths."

"No." Hawking shook his head firmly and gripped Lark's shoulder. "No, of course you can't. And that doesn't make them right. But many will resent you, and I can't stop that. I need you to know that."

"I do know that!" Lark impatiently sniffed back her tears. "I know it. But the important thing is they'll be around to do it."