02

Present.

Mimmi Danso sat in the grey cubicle, typing away on the desktop computer

"Is 'petty' theft in Akoma Hills becoming not so petty anymore?"

She cringed to herself as she finished typing the concluding line, but continued to sign off with her name and position.

As an investigative journalist of roughly three years, it wasn't uncommon for her to cover smaller stories that she didn't have much interest in. But lately, it seemed that her editor was only assigning her to less interesting cases. From burst water pipes, to increased grocery prices, to kids stealing candy bars — she was getting bored with the stories she had to write about. It had been about eleven months since she had something really good to write about, and she longed for that spark to come back. Unfortunately for her, everything seemed to be going too well in Akoma Hills lately.

"Mimmi?" a voice called from the cubicle next to hers. Mimmi looked up to see her co-worker, Selassie Williams, on her feet and looking down at her from her side of the cubicle.

"Hey Selassie." she smiled. Mimmi did not really connect with any of her co-workers enough to call them close friends; everyone was competitive and hungry for attention, which clashed with Mimmi's own competitive nature. But, she considered Selassie an acquaintance, as she was more level-headed and easy to work with, which was perfect for Mimmi.

"Are you going on your lunch break anytime soon?" Selassie questioned.

Mimmi nodded, as she hit send on the email to her editor, with the article she just wrote attached. "Yep, I just sent the article to Max, so I'm going to head out soon. Why, do you need something?"

"No, I was just making sure you don't forget to eat. You've been so quiet at your desk."

Mimmi shut down the computer, as she always did when she was leaving it for a while, and leaned back in her chair with a sigh.

"I was just busy trying to get this story over with. Staring at it was making me sleepy."

"That dry?" Selassie asked with a giggle.

"Yes, girl. I'm covering the story about the kid who stole chocolate bars from the supermarket but then came back to pay for it five minutes later." Mimmi groaned. "I mean, if he paid for it, why are we still harping on it?"

Selassie hissed playfully, shaking her head at Mimmi's words. "Sounds brutal."

"Tell me about it. What are you working on?" Mimmi asked, as she reached for her purse from one of the bigger drawers at her desk.

"I'm currently investigating fraud at a pharmaceutical company. It's terrible but it makes my job super fun." she enthused, unaware of how she was making Mimmi's skin crawl.

It's not that Mimmi was a jealous person— because she wasn't. But, she valued fairness, and she didn't believe it was fair that Selassie would get such a great story to cover when she wasn't always reliable. Sometimes she didn't even submit her assignments on time, or she would ask for multiple extensions. That's not to say that her work wasn't great, but Mimmi didn't find it fair that she always had her work completed on time and impeccably, but would just get stuck with the bottom scraps of news.
Mimmi decided to leave before her face started showing her inner thoughts.