Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

"It's never too late till you're dead."

"Funny." Levi deadpanned. A click from the stairwell caused them to quickly turn. Levi reached for a gun I hadn't noticed he had on him. Erwin jumped up holding a similar weapon. "Definitely not Hanji." Levi Muttered. He walked past me, watching the stairs for any shapes.

"Remember when you threw that knife at her once? You still haven't apologized for that." Erwin chidded.

"Now? Really?" A loud bang rang out and dim moonlight filtered into the hideout. Levi fired without hesitation. Erwin gawked at him in shock until black smoke filled the room. Nearly as soon as it appeared it disappeared. Levi grabbed something from a bag on the couch and started pouring it on the ground in the shape of a circle. Making sure to drop the bag in the middle of the circle. Erwin lowered his weapon and pulled a... water gun from the bag.

"What the hell? Wasn't there a devil's trap on the door."

"And it's made of solid iron." Erwin answered. The two stepped inside of the nearly finished circle.

"Well isn't this a pleasant surprise. Just two of you. I was expecting more." A man strolled down the stairs.

"Exorcizamus te-"" Levi and Erwin said in near unison.

"Oh silly, silly hunters. I'm locked inside of this body." The man pointed to a brand on his neck. More demons started filling in the room, the faces of true monsters masked by those of humans, surrounding the circle. "So, blondy, I'll give you a chance to make it out of here alive. All we want is your short little friend there. You don't want to disappoint your lover, now do you?"

"Not happening." Erwin answered. Spraying water at the man. Surprisingly, he cringed away in pain. It's filled with holy water! I found little humor in the unexpected situation as I remembered this has already happened, and ended in lots of blood.

While Erwin and Levi were too focused on the man in front; being all dressed up and seemingly taking charge it was hard to look away, to see one of his goons had started fanning away the salt line with a paper fan. I wanted to shout something as a warning, but there's no point. Levi moved, by chance, in a way he spotted the man's plan. With a quick motion he shot the man in the head. That sent them toppling backwards, but not much more than that. Blood leaked from the hole in their temple.

While Levi patched up the salt circle with the giant can on salt they had, Erwin sprayed the man in the face. As they were working at keeping the protection up, Levi whispered something to Erwin. He nodded in return and discreetly handed Levi something. The surrounding demons caught on just as much as I did. Maybe even more so as some took a step back; earning a disappointed look from the man in charge.

"What do you two think you are going to do? There are ten of us and two of you. It'd just be easier if Levi takes a couple steps outside of that circle. We don't want to make this more messy than it has to be, do we?"

"I'm normally not one for messes, but this time I think I'd rather deal with the messy way." Levi countered. Erwin scoffed, holding back a laugh. In any other situation I believe Levi would have hit him outright. Instead, he just rolled his eyes.

"Very funny, but I think we all know you won't be leaving here alive." This was the first, and I hope the last, time that I watched as Levi went sickly pale. I could only guess what was going through his mind, but he most likely believed the man. With what happened earlier and the chances they have of getting out of here...

"We'd still rather go down fighting." Erwin answered. Levi looked to him and back at the demon.

"What does Levi think?" The man stared down Levi, and he stared back. It was an uncomfortable moment before Levi answered.