Chapter Twenty-Nine

(Levi's POV)

"Hanji, what are you doing?" Eren asked.

"Making a ouija board." Oh great, this is going to be a mess. "Now all I need to do is grab her journal." There were a few loud, concerning bangs before I heard her talk again. "Okay! Let's get started! Do you want to talk first?"

"I don't really know how this works." Eren answered nervously.

"That's fine, I can take care of this. Yo Ilse, we need to talk to you." Hanji shouted. I hit my head against the book. What does she think she's doing? It was a mistake to let her do this. "If you can hear me it would be greatly appreciated if you would answer." She's not going to answer.

"I feel stupid doing this." Eren muttered loud enough I could hear him. In most cases the ouija board never worked, and I have yet to see a time when it does work and the person using it doesn't end up dead. Maybe it would be better if they don't get an answer.

"Just give her a minute. If you were dead you would have trouble answering a ouija board right away." Hanji, seriously? For all we know she's in hell. Of course you won't get an answer. Silence filled the basement for a few moments before Eren spoke again.

"We should just give up already. How long have we been sitting here like this?"

"I cannot believe you said that word!" Hanji answered overdramatically offended.

"You can keep trying to reach her, but I'm not sitting here talking to nothing anymore." Shuffling came from the room, and just as I expected, I heard a cracking sound. It was a sound I had heard before; like wood hitting a skull. "Hanji! What the hell?"

"That wasn't me!" She spoke with hysterical laughing. I guess I'll have to intervene now.

(Eren's POV)

"Stupid kid, YOU'RE the one ignoring me." Since we started this stupid ouija board session I started seeing this new person in the room, but I refused to acknowledge her because I thought I was just seeing things. However, now she's throwing things at me! Why can't she just use the ouija board the way it is supposed to be used? Then I wouldn't have to feel insane. "If you want answers you better start talking to me."

"Just use the freaking ouija board." I muttered.

"Like hell I'm going to use one of those. It's a demon's play thing. I refuse."

"If I start talking to you everyone will think I'm losing it." Again, I kept my voice low and my mouth as closed as I could keep it.

"Tell them I say they need to grow a pair and do something. That mess up in the desert was bad enough! Two people died while they were on the case. A disgrace is what they are!" For some reason I was hoping Ilse was going to be a nice person; I guess not.

"What's going on?" Levi asked with minimal interest. I turned to face him. His expression showed the same amount of interest. Just as I was about to force myself to start speaking about the ghost I am seeing, his expression changed. It was minimal, his eyes widened just a little, just before he got hit in the face.

"Asshole! Asshole! Asshole!" Ilse mumbled. By the time the object, a can of fruit hit the floor he was back to looking emotionless. "Wait." Now Ilse was quiet.

"Do I need to get the iron?" Levi asked, looking right at the place where Ilse's spirit is standing.

"Levi, don't you dare say you can see me." Hanji was looking around wildly as Levi and I were looking in the same place. While she most likely couldn't see anything.

"And if I can?" He answered. This made Hanji squeal.

"Are you talking to Ilse? What is she saying?" It was an assumption, and somehow Hanji was missing something important; Ilse doesn't look happy about it.