Chapter Thirty-One

(Eren's POV)

"Wasn't that fun?!" Hanji said cheerfully.

"Fun for you. My head is killing me."

"I'm sorry. I might have pushed you too far, but I just couldn't help it. The information I was receiving..." Hanji zoned out before she started ranting about all the findings she collected. Her rant lasted nearly the entire trip back. It didn't help my headache any, and she had to pull over a few times to take some notes on theories she came up with. The only thing I could think about was seeing Levi again. I don't know if I should be excited or scared. Happy or hurt.

~ ~ ~

We parked farther back from the hideout than before. Something is wrong. The air doesn't feel right. I don't know if Hanji can feel what I do, but something made her jump out of the car and run for the trunk. I followed her, to have a machete thrusted into my hands.

"What are you doing? What's going on?"

"Someone else has been here. I don't want to take any chances." Hanji pointed to a couple tire tracks that lead right up to the hideout. How can she tell that they aren't ours? Hanji pocketed a small knife and grabbed a pistol.

As we started walking closer the feeling started getting worse. It's accompanied by a smell now. One that brought back memories of a dark room and strange people. Any feeling of uneasiness about meeting Levi again vanished and was replaced with fear. Something bad had to have happened here.

"Eren! Wait!" Hanji called, but I was already running. I tried my best to picture the inside of our hideout. Hoping to reassure myself that Levi is just fine. Nothing was happening, it feels like my body is shutting down. My abilities have done all they can for today it seems. When I reached the entrance the doors had been ripped off. I ran down the stairs, not wait to see if anything or anyone was down there.

"Levi? Erwin?" I called out. "Levi?"

"Eren, you should go slow. Even if there aren't anymore demons here, by the smell of it it had to be them, one of the others might shoot you."

"But I don't think they are here." With that Hanji turned the lights on. The floor was covered in... Blood? There weren't any bodies, but the floor was covered in a thick layer of dark crimson. I lifted my foot up, it's tacky. I stared at the blood, is some of this Levi's? It's physically impossible for it all to be from one person, but if even one drop is his...

"Erwin? Levi? Anyone?" Hanji called as she looked around. "Maybe they left-" Her voice cut off as the blood began to swirl

~ ~ ~

"Hey kitty cat." Erwin called as he sat on the couch. This can't be happening. Could it have something to do with the blood? I looked at the ground and there was no blood.

"Do you want to die by fire or impalement?" Levi stuck his head out from the room he had been reading in when I left. His expression was creepily sadistic as though he was planning out how to enact both of those scenarios in his head.

"What does impalement mean? Through the chest or?"

"From the perineum to the head."

"Levi, what the heck is the perineum? Another name for the anus?"

"A little bit farther north than that." Erwin paled. What kind of conversation is this? I began to feel like this is something I don't want to know about, but why am I seeing this to begin with? Does it have something to do with the blood moving?

"When do you plan on telling Eren you want him?"

"Stay out of matters that don't concern you. It's too late for that anyways."