Chapter Twenty-Seven

(Eren's POV)

My first impression of the place where we were going to be staying wasn't good. I thought the last place we stayed at was bad, but this one takes the cake. It was down a dirt road; no one would be wandering down this road on accident, and it seemed to randomly stop. Until you notice that there are fallen pieces of a house within all of those trees and bushes.

"It may take us a while to get everything cleaned up, but maybe Eren could help us?" Erwin said. I was confused for a moment, but quickly realised he was asking me if I would use my abilities to help.

"I'll try." I said just as Levi began to state his disapproval.

"That's the worst idea I've heard you come up with in a long time." Levi complained. "Are you too lazy to do any actual work?"

"No, I just want to see what they boy can do." Erwin said, seeming to not be bothered by Levi's comment.

"I don't know what I can do either." I said sheepishly.

"Well, let's test it." Hanji said happily. They lead me around to the side of the broken down house, and started moving branches away from a door leading into the ground. I doubted the basement could look much better than the outside, and could only think about how unhealthy living in that kind of conditions would be. At least no one would find us here, right?

"You first." Hanji said and motioned for me to go down. I didn't know why she would say that, but I did what she said anyways. Once I started down the stairs for a moment I thought they were going to lock me down here, but let out a sigh of relief when Hanji started following me down. "You don't trust us, do you?" Hanji said with sympathetic eyes.

"I-I don't know who to trust." I said honestly.

"Tch brat, of course you should trust us." Levi said quickly, looking at me disapprovingly.

"Y-yeah, sorry." I felt at ease when I heard him say that. Even though he did look mad at me; I've come to know that as his normal facial expression. He pushed his way in front of me. I followed him down the stairs closely. There seemed to be an impressive amount of stairs. How far down did this go? Levi stopped at the bottoms of the stairs and hissed.

"Don't worry kitty, we'll get this place cleaned up to your standards quickly."

"Kitty?" I repeated dumbly. To which earned me a punch to the gut. Hanji broke out in laughter as I curled over in pain.

"Levi, be nice to the kid. He doesn't understand what Hanji was saying." Erwin said sympathetically. "You see, we mess around sometimes and call Levi a cat because he's a lot like one. He doesn't like water."

"I have more than enough reasons to not like water." Levi justified.

"Sometimes hisses like you just heard, and makes it seem that he doesn't care when he's trying to show he cares." I nodded. Those were some valid arguments in my opinion. Though I've never had a cat before. I've only heard about how they act, and seen my fair share of videos of cats falling into bathtubs and fish tanks.

"Stop trying to compare me to a cat." Levi hissed.

"It does make sense though." Levi turned to glare at me. "I mean, it does suit you." I said and stood up so I was taller then him. "Kitty." I said and watched him challengingly. We watched each other carefully for a good minute before the silence of the room was broken.

"Looks like you've volunteered yourself for cleaning duty. Better get on it. This place better be spotless when I get back." Levi said evenly and started leaving the basement, with Erwin following. Hanji took a seat and started reading after the heavy door closed.