Chapter Thirty

(Levi's POV)

Eren and I sat holding hands for longer than I anticipated. I just couldn't find the strength to pull my hand from his. The chat with Ilse had a greater impact on me than I was letting on. It seems like my time of being alive is coming to an end. If only I knew what was going to kill me. I wouldn't try to change it. I'm just scared that it might be Eren that kills me. He doesn't really know how to control himself. What if he does something stupid and that's what kills me? I doubt he would ever be able to forgive himself.

"Levi, hey, Levi, are you okay?" Eren nudged me with his elbow.

"I'm fine." I answered. Hanji and Erwin went off to do something. I didn't ask about it.

"Are you sure?" I turned to him. My expression was all he needed to see. "Don't be mad at me. I just want to make sure you are doing alright, with what just happened and all."

"I'm fine."

"Are you absolutely sure?" Eren asked again, resting his cheek on my shoulder.

"Yes, I'm sure." I tried to sound annoyed, but it was hard with how close he is.

"I don't think you are." He paused. Probably expecting me to add something, but I didn't want to keep talking. "You've never let me sit so close to you before. What happened before, with Ilse, do you believe it? Do you think it will happen?"

"Worrying about the future only makes the bad worse." Even though the saying is true, it was never my own. Hanji, she is the one that would always say that. I never stopped worrying, and planning. I always believed if I gave it enough thought I would never make a mistake. Maybe I made a mistake already. Keeping Eren around. Though, it is one I am willing to live with or die with.

We continued to sit hand in hand for nearly an hour. It was relaxing, but didn't stop my thoughts from racing. What could happen? What could go wrong? Taking out the idea that it could be Eren's fault, there is still a bunch of different creatures and people who would want me dead.

"Eren?" I whispered. It was only a guess, but now I know he really did fall asleep leaning against me. Cute. I hate cute. I pushed him off of me and let gravity wake him. Can't start treating him differently now. Though, I can't lie and say I didn't slow down his decent a little bit.

"Huh, Levi?" He turned to face me with wide eyes. Quickly, his expression turned to laughing. "You scared me jerk." He teased.

"Not my fault you're a little bitch." I teased back.

"That's harsh Levi." He mocked. I shrugged, and Eren went back to leaning against me. We sat quietly together for another few moments.

"You know I'm going to die soon, right?" I commented. I wanted to drill the idea into his thick skull. Maybe if he realized it was going to happen regardless he wouldn't be so hurt by it later.

"No, you're not. I won't let that happen. I promise you."

"You can't change fate."

"I'm not going to talk about this with you. I already lost my closest friends, so I am not even going to consider losing you. Got it?" I felt a tug in my chest I hadn't felt in a long time. In fact, I would normally keep all of my emotions in check, but Eren, he makes that difficult. I rolled my eyes and wrapped my arm around him.

"There's no fighting you about it, is there?"

"Nope, not at all." Eren gently wrapped his arms around my waist. He yawned, letting go of my waist to cover his mouth. "Come on." He tugged at my arm. "I'm going to sleep, and you are coming with. You're not leaving my side until I know you are alright." I let him drag me to his room. Why not? My book was in there anyways. I really want to finish it before I die. I also want to spend more time with Eren. It's a stupid thought; he might be the one that kills me, but I couldn't stop the thought from surfacing.