Charlotte snickered. "Girl, again?"

"Yes again! Why did this man tell me I have baby-making hips? Then, he tried to follow me but I outsmarted him, like I always do."

"Didn't I tell you to donate your hips and thighs to me? All this could have been avoided but w'aso yɛ den."

Mimmi shot her a glare, as Charlotte gestured to follow her.

"But seriously, I'll speak to the manager about upping security, and possibly having guards in elevators too. I take the stairs now because the last time I was in the elevator, some man asked me if I liked it rough." Mimmi's mouth dropped open.

"That was my exact reaction. I had to lie and tell him I have a gun just for him to shut up." Charlotte continued, as they finally made their way to the living room.

There, Mimmi saw her friends sprawled out with snacks in their hands. A plush mattress had been pulled into the center of the room, and was neatly dressed with sheets and throw pillows. The main lights were dimmed, with the only illumination coming from the television and the fairly lights Charlotte had hung strategically around the room.

It was their monthly "friend-out", their name for a 'friends' hangout'. At the end of each month, they would all choose something to do together so that they could still spend time with each other amidst their busy schedules. The past month had been really busy, so they decided on something low-key: a horror movie night at Charlotte's apartment.

"Popcorn almost finished and we haven't even settled on a movie yet?" Mimmi questioned, hanging her tote bag on a coat rack.

"I have brownies in the oven and they're almost ready. I got you." Ama Gloria assured, putting her hand up in the air for Mimmi to high-five.

"Latecomers don't get food." Ato retorted, throwing a kernel at Ama. "I didn't even think she'd be here."

"You came late yourself, but I've only been hearing chomping and swallowing from you." Dennis quipped, to which everyone except Ato chuckled.

"Focus on your focus. I was here early in spirit."

Mimmi and Charlotte plopped themselves on the couch, feet touching while the other four friends laid on the comfy mattress on the floor.

"Why wouldn't I be here?" Mimmi suddenly asked, bending down to grab a handful of popcorn from the bowl in Ato's lap.

A wind of silence blew across the room, as knowing looks were exchanged between some of the friends. Mimmi knew exactly what Ato was talking about but she wanted to see if he was really going to say it out loud. Nobody has mentioned it but everybody has felt it.

It was the brewing tension between Mimmi and the one friend who had not looked in her direction since she stepped foot in the apartment.

Ato spared a quick glance at the silent friend, who was scrolling through his phone and taking sips from a red solo cup without a care in the world.

"Just... thought you'd be too busy for us." Ato lied, not wanting to be the one to acknowledge the awkwardness.

"Too busy for my day ones? Never."

"Not her being nice today. Who are you and what have you done with Mimmi?" Ama sarcastically queried, making all but one laugh.

Mimmi looked over at the guy who refused to crack a smirk in her presence and rolled her eyes. As usual, he was being stubborn and dramatic. She wouldn't be the one to break the silence between them because she did nothing wrong. If he wanted to continue on like this, then she would follow suit.