Chapter 67

"Back where?" I tried to play it cool.
I wasn't exactly sure of where I had gone to and if I even really went there in the first place. This could very well be a vivid dream. A very vivid one. With real life manifestations, I added as I thought about my palm.

He looked at me deadpan.
"I know for a fact that you didn't wake up at 4am for a quick morning jog," he rose a brow at me. "Unless you had another agenda."
I tried not to be offended.

"I am very capable of waking up early to go jogging. You were the same person who told me I needed to shift more often, weren't you?"

He regarded me silently. Trying to see if he should believe the unbelievable, that I had willingly gotten up at dawn to train, or that I went back to the place that had obviously rattled both of us last night. Which, right now in my right mind, doesn't sound so believable either.

If he saw straight through my lie and diversion, he made no further comment about it.
After a few more seconds of staring, he turned and left my room, gently shutting the door behind him.
Phew.
I got a long day ahead of me.

****

As soon as we were done with breakfast and I'd helped clear the dishes, I made my way out of the house in search of Evelyn.
I welcomed the distraction even though it's not really one that I would have chosen, but it kept my mind off things. Actually having something to do helps me to forget to feel sorry for myself. And it felt good.

I know Evelyn lives in a small house near the edge of the pack border. Where exactly though, I wasn't sure.

I noticed quite a number of people outside going about their business. Some guards patrolling, some men and women heading off to work and some students heading off to school, either the school in the pack or going to a school out in the town.
Not everyone attended the pack's school, and it was just up to high school in any case. Eventually those who'd like to further their studies would have to attend college outside of the main pack territory. Even some of the workers worked off-pack grounds.

As I passed by the people I decided to try my luck and find out from some if they knew where Evelyn lived.
I couldn't help notice the odd looks they gave me though, as I approached them. Like they were confused or something.
Was I walking weird?
Only the ones I ended up making direct eye contact with stared at me with wide eyes and then bowed slightly, smiling 'Good day Luna'.

What? They know? They can tell? How? My mark wasn't even showing.

Only when they look you in the eye do they register the fact that you're the Luna now. The others merely feel a strong aura coming off of you, but they don't know why.

Well then.
I smiled back.
I wasn't really expecting many to know where Evelyn lived but surprisingly, everyone I asked did. Apparently, everyone in the pack knows where the local witch resides.
They showed me the directions pointing me along as I got further and further.

It was a strange route I took to get there. And as usual, I couldn't remember the way back to where I came from.
I'll find my way, if not, ask again I shall.

Her home was a bit isolated but warm nonetheless.
It was situated on top of a tiny hill and the walls were covered with just enough moss to make it look a little mysterious. The two windows I managed to see on this side were all shut but were framed with cute pale pink curtains that could be seen from outside. There was even a small stony old-fashioned chimney that peeked out from on top of the roof and daffodils that lined the sides of her walkway up to her door.

The place seemed quiet though.
Maybe she's not around?

I knocked on the old wooden door of her home that had probably seen better days. Or years.
Maybe even decades.