Chapter 36

It didn't make any sense to me when he first said it, the following events though made it crystal clear.

Beta Shawn didn't say another word.

He didn't need to.

He just turned to the opened door and whistled, short and curt.

Footsteps were heard echoing in the corridor until they reached our room.
Everything in that moment seemed to go in slow motion.

My heart was beating very slowly and heavily in my chest. Each footstep knocking it's pace down even further until they finally arrived.
And then it just stopped altogether.

Two men stepped in, one stood by the door and the other walked to the center of the room holding something in hand.

He threw it on the floor with a loud thump. The thing rolled a bit and was now lying about two feet away from Damon.

Damon's hard facade fell completely, and he looked at the thing with quizzical eyes. He looked up at Shawn who just had a straight face on, then looked back down at the thing and sniffed it slightly.

The blood drained from his face.

Maybe its a bomb?

I tried to listen for any ticking sounds.

Nope, none. We're safe. At least, for now...

It was something that had been wrapped in blue satin sheets.

Beta Shawn laughed. The new evil gleam in his eyes that he never held before was now more prominent than ever.

"Go ahead, uncover it."

The man under instructions from Shawn, moved to the object and ripped the sheets off.

In that moment, I had no words.

I had no thoughts.

I had no breath.

No. No.
Please God No.

I had to look away. I just couldn't.

If I said Damon looked pale before, it was nothing compared to now.

He was ghostly white.

Damon looked frozen in shock for a minute before he made a sound.

"No." It was barely a whisper made to hismelf. "No!" This time it came out louder.

She lay there.

Motionless.

In her favorite little purple Minnie dress.

Anastasia.

I couldn't swallow my own saliva.
I felt like throwing up.
I still couldn't feel my heart beat.

I heard Shawn laughing beside me.

Damon's eyes had gone completely blue, with no traces of his pupil.
I heard the sound of breaking bones amidst his shouts and growls.

His claws came out, his canines elongated.
He looked absolutely vicious.
He was turning.

Shawn just kept chuckling and he walked up to Damon.
With two syringes in his hands, he just stuck them in both sides of Damon's neck.

Immediately, his claws and canines retracted.

His eyes dimmed down.

He groaned and shouted at the same time.
Then Beta Shawn punched him, hard across the jaw.

"Your mother, she suffered the same fate incase you were wondering. We just didn't want to bring her in at the moment things would get too messy. I don't want to stain the ground." Beta Shawn said crouching down to Damon's level.

"You having a déjà vu feeling? Good." Shawn said looking at Damon's face which just looked dead.
Dead inside.

"Its only sad that you don't have more family members for us to get our hands on. Karma really is a bitch isn't she?"

Again with the she?
What makes you think karma's a she?
It could very well be a he.

Now is not the time.

Right.

I forced myself to look at Damon's face again.

His eyes were squeezed shut and I actually saw a tear run down his face.

His arms were loosely hanging from his restraints, too much wolfsbane in his system. Not even allowing him to grieve well.
He looked helpless.

A pained gasp escaped me.
To that point, I hadn't actually come to terms with what was happening.
I had been numb sort of. More in shock really.

But seeing him like this seemed to drive me crazy, I just couldn't stand it.
My heart ached.

Next thing I felt were two arms wrapping themselves around me from behind.
Shocked I turned around to see Jax holding me.

"Shh don't worry I'll get you out of this place and everything will be alright, Princess."

"No. Get away from me."

"Never."

I tried to wrestle out of his arms, but he just tightened his hold on me.

He was too strong.
I had no energy left in me.
So I gave up trying to fight.

It seems he did the same thing.

His eyes were pools of anger mixed with heartache as he looked at Anastasia.

He slowly turned to look at me then he shut his eyes and let another tear fall.

"Doesn't feel too good when the shoe's on the other foot, does it?" Shawn said pulling down on Damon's hair to force Damon to look up and face him.

"I'm doing this for Derrick, and all the other innocent lives you took."

And in that minute I saw Damon's eyes turn cold, his eyes looked like two icy pools of... nothing.

They were empty now.
Cold and empty.
Then he let out a long humorless chuckle.

It scared me.

It scared me seeing him laugh at this particular moment.

"You're no better than I am."

"Don't you dare compare yourself to me, you are a worthless pup who should never have been an Alpha!" Shawn said getting very riled up at the accusation, which wasn't too far off.

"Come on Princess, we've seen enough of this crap, lets go." Jax said standing up and pulling me to my feet.

Damon's head snapped to us, the blue in his eyes shining again.
His wolf must be very strong to still be here after all the wolfsbane that has been used on him.

"Get your hands off her!"
Damon growled pullings on his chains again.

"You may have sunk your teeth into her but it doesn't mean anything to me, she going with me." Jax told him.

Damon started struggling with his cuffs and I'm sure he would have been able to break some if not for the syringe that was stuck into his neck, again.
How much wolfsbane did they bring here exactly?

And just like that, like I'm some rag doll, I was being dragged out of the room.
No strength to fight, maybe even no will.

One last opposing growl was heard before the door shut behind us.