Chapter 6

I woke up to the scent of fresh bread filling my nose.

I didn't know how long we'd been here, but it felt like days. It most definitely had had to be some days, a couple at least.
We were starving and dehydrated and my mind felt all sorts of cloudy, I couldn't even think straight.

Was there even oxygen in this place?

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes just in time to see one of the guards shove two loaves of bread on a metal pan into our cell.

"What's that?" I asked, sleep still clouding my eyes.

"Breakfast." he said and started walking away but then he stopped and after a long pause he added, "Lunch... and Dinner." he smiled at me.

"You've got to be kidding me." Mavis muttered, rubbing her eyes as well.

"No, I'm not. Enjoy." and with that the guard left, continuing to shove bread into cells.

Once the guard was out of earshot, or so I guessed, I spoke up. "They're feeding us now?" It seemed strange to me.
Or maybe a last meal sort of thing?

Mavis looked over at me and shrugged. "I guess so..." She said studying the somewhat steaming loaves of bread. "But what if it's poisoned?"

"It very well may be."

"But again, he is your mate, he wouldn't kill you."

"Even if that were the case, which we're not sure about," I stressed, "maybe because he's my mate that's why he's poisoning us. Making us go quietly and easy?" I shrugged.

"Another possibility, but who says this will make us go out easy? You ever watch GoT?"

"Okay, true, but it would still be better than a personalised execution at his hand wouldn't you say?"

"I wouldn't really be sure, I mean, Jeoffrey really did struggle before he finally passed, maybe the other way would be quicker. No pain."

"Well, this is a choice I never thought I'd have to make." I let out a humorless chuckle.

"Or maybe you girls can consider the fact that the bread isn't poisoned and that he's not going to kill us." A voice spoke up. Rose.

Well, that was also a possibility, I guess, if we're being optimistic.

And at that very moment, the scent of the apparently freshly baked bread wafting through my nostrils made my stomach grumble.
I guess Mavis' did too.

Some optimism sounded good right about now.

We glanced at each other, then at the bread, an unspoken conversation going on between us, then we simultaneously pounced on the bread and started devouring it.
Who knew plain bread could be so tasty.

I guess we were quite hungry.

Sometimes I wish I was the type that couldn't eat when depressed, but the reverse was true. And now I needed loads of it.

"He better be joking about the lunch and dinner thing, unless of course their plan is to starve us to death." I said. There was no way we were going to survive on these loaves that were the size of our fists.

"Uh huh." Mavis said a bit absentminded again, almost done with her portion. "They could have at least given us a bottle of water." Mavis mumbled tearing a piece of her bread off and plopping it in her mouth.

Although the bread was soft and fresh, going down was still a bit of a struggle. I almost had no saliva in my mouth to even help with swallowing.

And right on cue water bottles were kicked into our cells.