The Scream

It's Friday night, you're in your bed in the dark, trying to get to sleep after a long, hard day. Just as you settle down and close your eyes, your phone rings. You reluctantly pull it out from under your pillow and look at the number. It's yours.

"Hello?" you say groggily.

"I need you to scream. Like, now," a small voice says, very hushed.

"W-What?" you stutter, sitting up in your bed. "Who is this?"

There is a short silence, as you hear the person exhale. "Just please, scream now."

"No, I'm not gonna--" you argue.

"Three."

This is crazy.

"Two."

This is pointless.

"One."

You let out the most bloodcurdling scream of your life. The sharp sound of your shriek pierces the quiet night, and the dogs on the street begin to howl. You become terrified, you didn't know you could be that loud.

For a few moments after, you recover from your fit of screaming, only to see your bedroom door creak open slowly. A hulking mass steps inside the room, almost as tall as the ceiling, with heavy breaths and a horrible smell. It emits a deep growl, and its sharp talons come into view.

Your breath catches in your throat.

With a terrible sound, it prances up to your bedside. You're frozen in place, forced to stare at its ugly yellow eyes.

Just then, from your closet, an individual bounces out. You recognise them in the dark. It's the older version of you.

"Thanks, man! Nice scream!" 'you' say, before racing out the door, leaving you.